Home made index head.

I had a good friend offer me a 3 phase motor/gear reducer the other day and I told him I didn't have any use for it. I think I'll see if he still has it.
Thanks for the idea. ;D ;D

Patrick

Hey if its free grab it. Even if you don't use it for an index head you will find another use for it...Bob

Well my 4" 3 jaw chuck came today. Tomorrow i have a "student" from the PM site coming over to learn chipmaking and we will make a backplate. I have been side tracked with job interviews and the holiday but i will get this thing finished...Bob

Well my drugs finally wore off from the last few days and i was able to head to the SB dungeon and work on my 4" backplate for my 3 jaw chuck. I got it all rough turned and tomorrow i will bore and thread it with Video...Bob

Here is a little vid of turning my 4" CRS backplate for my 4" chuck. 3/16" deep cut running in backgear. Click on the pic. Enjoy...Bob

th_saw015.jpg

Got the chuck backplate made and here is how i marked for the 3 bolt holes. I have a degree wheel that mounts on the end of the spindle with a pointer (pic1) Then i have a scriber mounted in my toolpost on the lathe centerline. And with the degree wheel on zero i scribe a line (pic2) then i move the wheel to 120* and 240* and scribe 2 more lines. Then i needed to move the cross slide in 5/16" from the edge for the center of the hole (pic3) and rotate the spindle while i scribe 3 more lines and (pic4) its all scribed ready to punch and drill...Bob

DSC02083 (Small).JPG DSC02086 (Small).JPG DSC02081 (Small).JPG DSC02085 (Small).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Chucks on !!!! Mounted my JTS Machinery 4" 3 jaw...Bob

DSC02087 (Small).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to finish the handle, sector arms and add a brake for the spindle. I have drawings made for both of them. I think i need to make a flat in the drive spindle for the handle. Maybe tonight i will mill the slot in the handle...Bob

Back