Home made index head.

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
I am building a home made index head from a new 40:1 gear box i bought off ebay for 29 bucks. Mine is an English made David Brown for a piece of surveying equip but any Boston or eq GB will work. I wanted a smaller indexer and this one has a 2 1/2" spindle hole centerline. I am gathering up metal for a spindle with a 1 1/2x8 thread turned down to 3/4" to fit the hollow shaft in the out put side of the box. The imput end will have a keyed 7/8" shaft that will hold my little index plates i bought from an ebay seller in England pretty cheap. I need to make the sector arms and misc parts. Pics to come...Bob

Here is a pic of the 40:1 gear box. This one has a hollow out put shaft so i can make a few different spindles. One with a 1 1/2-8 thread for a chuck or faceplate and one with a 60 degree point like a dead center. The orig shaft is pic 2. The short stub end will be my 60 degree center or 1 1/2 threaded when those 2 shafts are made. I only have like 65 bucks in this project incl the 4 division plates...Bob

gbox.jpg shaft.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my 4 division plates from England. They are just over 1/8" thick and 3 3/4" in dia with a 5/8" center hole. They are from a clockmakers supply store on ebay. marypoppinsbag is the seller. Yes they were made by a female thats why the funny sellers name LOL...Bob

index plates.jpg

author=chengdave2003 link=topic=412.msg1377#msg1377 date=1291591492
I've got a gear box from an industrial gate opener....no idea what ratio. I'm going to keep close tabs with this thread to see what you do.

Dave

Just mark the 2 shafts and turn the imput until the output turns one turn then you will know your ratio. I used 40:1 because most index heads are that ratio. I have a 60:1 also but its being used right now on my roller/scroller. Either ratio will work but you can get more with the 40:1. The chart that came with the plates lists both...Bob

I looked earlier on ebay at her store and didn't see mine either. She had a website ME Tools Online but the link doesn't work. When you get ready i would just email her from ebay and see if she has more or making more. Well back to the drawing board...Bob

author=chengdave2003 link=topic=412.msg1418#msg1418 date=1291659352
Bob,

How much backlash/play do you have on the gear reducer?

Dave
I can't feel any. I know when using one you always go in the same direction prob because if any backlash...Bob

Well i had to go back to the drawing board for a few minutes today. I forgot that the plates have to bolt to the GB body somehow. Don't know what i was thinking earlier but i am on the right track now. I squared up a 3"x3"x3/4" block of steel in my SB shaper and now its going to the lathe to be bored and a bushing added for the shaft to turn smoothly in. Pics coming...Bob

I took a piece of 1 13/16" x 42" round bar in on trade for a small welding job. I don't know the flavor and it has some colors painted on the end and it cuts nice in my little bandsaw with little chips. So it should make a pretty good spindle. Now to turn it down to 3/4" and thread the big end 1 1/2-8 for my 4" chuck or faceplate...Bob

Turns out the bar is 4130 0r 4140 and its tough. Been ripping off about 45 thou a pass with a pretty good feed rate. I have a 1/2 barrel of chips and a good 1/2" to go. I overheated my little 1/2 hp motor so we are in a cool down mode...Bob

If i could keep all the chips in the basement my wife would be happier. Well i have it down to .751 .001 more to go then i can put in a keyway and thread the big end...Bob

Back