Home made hand scraper

Looks amaaaaazing. The scraper aint` bad either ;)

The table was power flaked. the hand scraper is just sitting in the table for pics. Bob

Very nice. So the blades on these scrapers get brazed to the tool it's self? They dont bolt into a holder or something? Did you make the blade or buy it? I'm thinking of getting a anderson and making a straight edge to scrap in.

It's just a piece of carbide silver soldered on a piece of 1/8x1" cold rolled steel with a file handle attached. Bob

I used high temp silver solder the same stuff used to install the carbide on saw blades

I'm really new to this, so please bear with me. I'm in the process of restore a late model Craftsman 12 and the bed looks pretty bad after getting it home and cleaned up a little. Anyway, started looking into scraping and saw in various places on the web that the blade should be straight with maybe the corners rounded and I've seen some with curved. I see vettebob uses a curved shape. Are there any reason why one might be used ove the other or for maybe a specific purpose. I have no machining experience but would consider myself above average in the mechanically inclined department. Does the curve give you a more aggressive bite?

Richard King one of the scraping Gurus Told me that I should have 2 scrapers one with a 60mm radius and one with a 90mm radius.
My take on it is the smaller radius makes narrower cuts for more contact points on smaller areas such as compound slides. Bob

Curious how the edge is developed. Rough out on green wheel, finish with diamond?

Back