Home made hand scraper

vettebob

Active User
Registered
I bought the metal to make my own hand scrapers today. I would like to make couple of Biax compatable blades to use on it and hopefully a biax scraper someday. Could some one post the both thickness and shank end dimensions of a biax blade. Thanks Bob:dunno:

I bought the metal to make my own hand scrapers today. I would like to make couple of Biax compatable blades to use on it and hopefully a biax scraper someday. Could some one post the both thickness and shank end dimensions of a biax blade. Thanks Bob:dunno:

You do know I am a DAPRA / BIAX Rep? I have issues showing how we made scrapers, but told them I had. I show pictures of the blades but won't send dimensions, that's getting a bit close to loosing my dealership with DAPRA. I have sent students dimensions in private emails if they are in a fix, but I recommend buying the real McCoy blade from Dapra.com Blade #'s 20-150-R-60 or a 30-150 blade Rich

PS: I have no control of the other readers here though, so if someone wants to do it I won't stop it.

The quickest way is to google "biax scraper blade dimensions" Thats what I did. There is a post on a different forum that give the dimensions. Note that the blades are metric and you need tool steel for them

Good luck

If you check out the list of topics in this forums, there are a couple about making a scraper... I am sorry about my last answer but there is a fine line about helping and one of doing something ethical when I talk about copying products. I would think on the first few pages of threads there will be some photo's. Making a handle that is a common design vs a blade that was designed by a company that is special is quite different to me.
I hope you understand. Rich

Rich I am not trying to duplicate Biax blades. I just wanted to make sure any that I make I can later use in a Biax scraper. I'm sorry if it came off like I want to duplicate them. I will just silver solder the carbide directly to the shank :allgood:Bob

Is there something wrong with making scrapers out of old files?

Is there something wrong with making scrapers out of old files?

Way to stiff...that was what we did 50 - 75 years ago. The modern methods and flexible blade scrapers have revolutionized hand scraping. Rich

I started with an old file. It worked on the really soft cast iron of my import lathe. Then I tried scraping a piece of durabar, and found myself sharpening it every 2 or 3 strokes. Shortly after that I purchased an Anderson scraper, and also made one myself from a small piece of carbide brazed to the end of a piece of flat stock with a file handle fitted to the end. Both work great. One cost me about $100, the other cost me about $10. Gotta tell you, carbide stays sharp WAY longer than carbon steel.

In my limited experience I have found the the flexible scrapers are the way to go for up to 40dpi. As you get more focused I tend to go for a shorter and stiffer scraper so as to ensure I am cutting as soon as I touch the surface.

There is of course the danger that you make the blade too flexible and with this you will either get chatter or you will just be polishing the surface.

Back