Holding 6 Inch Dia Pvc Pipe

I have about 80 of these to make of various sizes so it may be worth the effort to make something like that. Not sure though.

For 80 parts I would make a mandrel. Maybe, a steel shaft and 2 thick aluminum disks that are a tight slip to light press fit. Maybe set screwed on the shaft.

Ok. I think I have a plan. I think I am going the mandrel direction. I was trying to figure out how to allow myself to be able to work both ends with one setup but the part might be hard to keep from spinning on the disks. I imagine that the ID of pipe could vary a bit so getting a press fit that is tight enough but not too tight for that setup could be tricky. So, I think I will hold on the head-stock end using a 3 jaw and one of the mandrel disks and have a mandrel with the two disks as JimDawson describes. Kind of a hybrid mandrel. I think the shaft will be fixed to the center of the first disk that also backs up the pipe for a good grip in the jaws and the second disk can slide and use set-screws. Other end of the shaft goes to the live center of the tail-stock. That should do it! Thank you all for the ideas. Keep them coming. I'll keep reading and will report back in a while about how it worked out.

Thanks Bruce. I wouldn't be able to reach in for the inner groves if I'm understanding you right, which I may not be.
I forgot to put in the post to cut out some clearance areas on the tail stock plug to allow access to the inside for your grooves. Plug would look like a 3-flute tap or end mill. Sounds like the mandrel method will work much better for you!

Bruce

For the plug in the tail stock end you can use worm type hose clamps on the out side of the PVC. I do that with great results.

Tough problem but should be solvable. If I understand correctly you need to chamfer both ends and need to put a groove on the inside of the pipe near the end. If you have several of them to do then woodchucking and jigs are your answer. For the grooves you can use a grooving router bit with a properly sized bearing. For a chamfer cut a circle clamp to hold the pipe then cut a hole in a board (plywood) that's larger than the pipe. This becomes your table to support the router use a chamfer bit to chamfer it.

What I have done is get a pipe cuppling of the size you are useing turn out the stop in the center slit it up one side . Put your piece in and that will hold it. If your piece is long use a pipe center or if you can take another cuppling again cut out the stop slide it on your pipe and set a steadyrest to support your pipe.

Great ideas everyone! I'll be making the parts in the next week or two and will report back on what worked for me. Thanks again.

Get a piece of black iron pipe and tap for some set screws every 90 degrees. Then do it all with the pipe held in the 3 or 4 jaw chuck. The piece in the pic is 18 inches long so I needed a
steady but you can make yours shorter and do it all just held by the headstock end with the PVC sticking out of the pipe.

DSC_1075.JPG

Epanzella - That could work as long as I don't need the steady rest, which is too small on my lathe for the 6.3" OD I'm working with. I found that the 4 jaw distorted the plastic some if it was held tight enough to not slip (although I was gripping internally). Maybe I need 6 screws to avoid that. It looks like our lathes are similar looking from that photo anyway. I have a G0509G. What is yours?

Back