Hobbyist Surface Grinder, Is There Such A Thing?

Quite a few companies sell that same design Asian surface grinder. There are lots of posts on the forums about how awful it is or how good of work it can turn out. There was one for sale near me, in visually nice condition, that I watched and watched, but finally decided not to get it. I want one that is small but heavily built, a good old three phase 6x12 manual grinder in good condition, or a prime recondition candidate, that comes with as many extras, tooling and consumables as possible. It may be a long wait, but I am not in any hurry.

yes that is the one i saw. like the previous post i have a ko lee t&c grinder that i use for many uses. but as a surface grinder it has its limits but has got me by for "garage" projects. good luck with your search.

Sanford made a surface grinder in the 4x8 work range, but every hobbyist and their brother wants one, so they demand quite a price! Sanford also made a grinder in the 5x10 size range, but if you have the space for a 510 you probably have room for a 612.

Don't get caught up with brands. Yes Harig, Reid and Mitsui are the big brands but anything with good bearings and ways can grind well. Position your grinder so sparks and wheel dressing dust go away from your other machine tools. In my experience a coarse wheel can bother me, especially when dressing, so a vacuum to suck up dust isn't a bad idea.

Remember, you can't use too much oil on a grinder. Keep those ways in great shape!

I have Sanford 1020-28, 3 x 5 electro mag chuck, 3 new wheels,5 used,spanner wrench. New Belt and bearings,plus new set brng's
If interested $1,000 packed to ship.
Old age,winding down shop.

Attachments

• Sanford Practical Machinist.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Manual.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I have Sanford 1020-28, 3 x 5 electro mag chuck, 3 new wheels,5 used,spanner wrench. New Belt and bearings,plus new set brng's
If interested $1,000 packed to ship.
Old age,winding down shop.

Thanks for the offer, I am sure someone here will grab it :)
I will have to pass right now as there are some other things that are absorbing all my spare cash right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back