Hmmm, Carriage Stop Confusing Me

As I mentioned in the first post, I bought the carriage stop new old stock and I got the one for the 11" rockwell. It is part number 25-655. It even came in the original box. That and it was clearly unused.

That's why I'm so confused that it doesn't clamp down right.

It will sit properly on the V (see photo). When I clamp it with my hand it's perfect.

That's why I'm so confused. Either the metal clamp piece isn't original or rockwell messed it up (which I find highly unlikely). I guess I'm going to have to make my own clamping piece.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Damn auto-rotate....and frikin small keypads and fat fingers....and my daughter yackin in my ear

From wot I can see.......

Pinch plate looks a different color than stop body.

Can you mill a slot in the pinch plate? From wot it looks to me that the angles WILL mate but the pinch plate screw hole is too far back. Looks to mee yhat if you slot the pinch plate towards center it'll line up. Problem may be that it's a threaded hole in the pinch plate. I can't see how the pinch plate is construcred. If so, make a 'T' slot in the pinch plate and make a 'T' nut. You may need to build up the contact area under the 'v'. You may need to shim the area under the screw.You may need to fab a whole gnu pinch plate.

edit. Stuff has been made wrong from the beginning of the industrial revolution....**** happens. If could have been wrong from the factory. Maybe someone cobbled something together from a partial and threw it in the box. Who knows?

Stop by with some IPA's and we'll sort it out. ;)

Last edited:
It looks like it was missing the clamp and the PO made that one. It looks like as some one said already you need a toe clamp. Make a shim to go between the clamp and the stop base. You want the clamp to set square to the casting.

Yea I'm thinking the pinch plate is not correct.

Any rockwell guys able to take a picture for me?

image.jpeg

In your 4th photo, we can't see the ledge on the bottom of the stop body that the clamp plate is supposed to touch. Usually, or at least on the two that I have for my Atlas (single and six-way), the clamp plate will have a toe and a heel machined on it that contacts the bottom of the way well away from the edge and contacts the ledge under the stop body.away from the edge. Like a small piece of flat bar glued to the ends of the clamp with the clamp thinner in the middle.

Wa5 is saying also my thoughts. It looks like something thrown together.

The hole, it looks like a through hole. Is it threaded?

Just a thought
A simple fix will be to tap 2 holes on the body side of the pinch plate and use set screws to adjust the plate where it will be level. This method is on some older lathe stops.
tomh

I will give you half to take it off your hands and you can find the right one for your lathe... :)

Found this image, but not sure it helps much other than to show the bottom bracket is not a casting. Then again, this is mounted on a Clausing lathe, so is it possible the bottom bracket was modified.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is an image from this youtube video. Not sure if the video author can be reached...

Back