Hmmm, Carriage Stop Confusing Me

100LL

Registered
Registered
so I picked up a new old stock carriage for my RD 11" lathe and it arrived. It came in the original box and all.

But I put it on the bed after a good cleaning and lube...and it won't clamp tight.

Looks like the clamping bar isn't quite right...or am I doing something wrong??

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Can you turn that bottom piece the other direction, perpendicular instead of parallel?

Looks like your going to need to modify your clamp. It may need a toe to keep it level and it may need to even be longer to go flat against your rack gear. Don't think there's enough room on the edge beside the rack. Others here may have other ways of doing it . Take a good look and figure it out.

Looks like the clamping bar isn't quite right.

Maybe that's why it was for sale unused.

Now, can you glue a couple of pieces of 1/4" key stock on the top of the clamping bar, One on each side of the screw? or maybe 1/8 key stock? It looks like 1/4" stock would make the screw too short. Play with it and see what you can do to make it work.

Looks like its upside down. Put the gray body part you have setting on top of the way on the rack part under the way.

It looks like it is supposed to go on the way you tried, but why would the bolt to secure the stop be on the bottom?

That does not make sense that every time you need to move it you need to fumble around to find the bolt. Seems like a really bad design.

Is it possible that it mounts the other way so the bolt is on the top?

The whole thing looks mirror imaged to me.

Yup, the first pic is upside down. The profile of the stop that contacts the ways does not match your lathe. Cannot tell if you can recut it to fit but maybe that would work.

Well, I rotated the photo 180 and realized that what I would call the stop screw heads are what contacts the carriage (all of the ones for Atlas are made the other way around). So it isn't a mirror image as I first thought. But you are correct. It doesn't come close to fitting the V-way. Must be for a larger machine with a taller "V".

You can look on the Rockwell Delta Yahoo site and download a sheet that shows the part numbers. It will tell you which lathe the part will fit.
The sheet indicates a part number 25-655 for the RD 11" lathe.

Back