Hitachi wj200 & braking resistor...need help!

melsdad

Active User
Registered
Does anyone have this vfd with a resistor installed? I am having trouble with the settings, and the manual is not the easiest to follow. Just thought I would try here first before I called hitachi directly.

sent from my hand held hickymajig

Did you ever get this sorted out? I have this VFD coming in a few weeks and I'm not sure I'll use the feature, but would be nice to make note for possible future use.
-Ryan

Did you ever get this sorted out? I have this VFD coming in a few weeks and I'm not sure I'll use the feature, but would be nice to make note for possible future use.
-Ryan

Yes just last week I got the break wired and working properly. I can stop the mill from 2400 r.p.m to o r.p.m. in .5 seconds. probably less, but that is as low as I went. I ended up setting the control for 1.5 seconds. Before the break was installed I could not get under 7.25 seconds. That may sound fast but when you are going from a centerdrill to drill to chamfer tool to a tap it seems like an eternity.

Last edited:
The resistor I used was from here:

http://www.surplussales.com/

It is a Milwaukee brand wire wound 35 ohm 400 watt.

I believe it was $35.00 shipped.

If you decide to go this route I can help you with settings, as they are scattered all around the manual.

One thing that I did was print out the 420 page manual from the disc they provide with the drive, and spiral bind it. I have pages tagged, codes highlighted, and notes written next to the settings I changed.

The disc is helpful because of the search function, then you can bookmark the pages in your printed version.

The resistor I used was from here:

http://www.surplussales.com/

It is a Milwaukee brand wire wound 35 ohm 400 watt.

I believe it was $35.00 shipped.

If you decide to go this route I can help you with settings, as they are scattered all around the manual.

One thing that I did was print out the 420 page manual from the disc they provide with the drive, and spiral bind it. I have pages tagged, codes highlighted, and notes written next to the settings I changed.

The disc is helpful because of the search function, then you can bookmark the pages in your printed version.

PM sent Brian. I sure would like the info please!!

I'm in the same boat....... Which settings need changing ;)

thanks
pete

Mike I sent you a pm and a email.

sent from my hand held hickymajig

I'm in the same boat....... Which settings need changing ;)

thanks
pete

Let me put these here also.

These are the settings I needed to change to get my brake to work. Some work with the brake and some work for other things as well.

first I assume you are already able to navigate through the drive pages. If you are looking for settings and they are not displayed go to b037 and change it to 00 this will give you full panel access.

Lets start with the A settings. These are how I have my drive setup.

A039 = 04
A042 = 5.0
A044 = 03 this will give you full torgue at low hertz.
A051 = 01
A052 = .25
A054 = 60%
A061 = 60hz.
A062 = 8 hz.

B settings

B012 = Full load amperage on motor name plate.... mine is 9.8
B022 = 16.5 refer to page 59 of the quick ref. guide for the formula
B038 = 201
B090 = 10.0
B095 = 02
B097 = set to 35
B130 = 01
B133 = 1.0
B134 = 5.0

F settings

F002 = 2.75 acceleration time
F003 = 1.5 deceleration time. with this setting you will know if the brake is working.

refer to the quick reference guide as to were the brake wires get hooked to.

I hooked the resistor to RB and +

This picture may help.

5emu3e7y.jpg

Last edited:
Brian, you pointed me in the right direction and I finally have my WJ200 stopping my lathe in 5 seconds :)) Not bad considering it has a an pneumatic chuck closer...which adds a bit of weight.

Again , thank you for taking the time to post your findings, it really helped this old man a ton :)

pete

Back