Hi-end Benchtop Lathes?

Thanks all.

Some quick googling shows Wabeco and Emco as front runners.

Food for thought.

Hi @Ratch If you are looking for quality I wouldn't steer toward a mini lathe.
An Emco Maximat (if you can find one) would be an excellent choice.
If I had not bought the South Bend I had a line on an Maximat as a second runner up.

Ratch, I have both Myford S7 and Maximat 11 both purchased new used petty much on a daily basis from 1977 [myford] & around 1982/4? for the Emco but very accurate, both imperial -- you will find Emco don't bring their real worth in the UK, compare prices in Europe with those in the UK. The only "problem" with the myford is the small spindle bore unless you go for a Big Bore machine at a considerably higher price, also for you the gearbox is imperial, you can cut metric as with any imperial lathe but its not very convenient.
So this leaves you with the Emco, bide your time and you will find a good one in full metric spec. you need to search all the usual sites and keep an eye on google search. However since you are willing to look at this type and size of machine I would also consider Boxford, you will get a lot for your money and quality as well. As a matter of interest I also have a Boxford 11-30 metric machine.

Last edited:
Hi all.

Wanting to purchase a good quality lathe (and milling machine) that must offer the following:

Fit on benchtop.
Minimum 500mm between centres.
Thread cutting gearbox.
Require no ‘fixing’ from new to start using (quality).

There seems to be a massive gap between cheap Chinese stuff and hi-end / used industrial equipment. I’m looking for a level above hobby stuff.

I’m in England / Europe. The only brands I can identify that offer the above have all had worrying reviews in terms of quality.

SIEG
WARCO
OPTIMUM

Any advice (other than buy a big used professional machine) appreciated.

You can also consider PAULIMOT

www.paulimot.de

I also plan to buy a lathe from them. I was considering Optimum or Bernardo, but price-wise Paulimot is better and I read good reviews for their machines.

So far I only bought tooling from them and it was a pleasure dealing with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also consider PAULIMOT

www.paulimot.de

I also plan to buy a lathe from them. I was considering Optimum or Bernardo, but price-wise Paulimot is better and I read good reviews for their machines.

So far I only bought tooling from them and it was a pleasure dealing with them.

They look like the standard Chinese offerings. One place to compare is Alibaba

You'll see everything that is available to importers and who the suppliers are. There are many companies that offer these products and those that work directly with good manufacturers can provide slightly better quality stuff. But, if you read through the experiences of forum members none are absolutely turn-key.

Read and learn....

John

For what it's worth, I had a dispute with the seller of my 7x14 lathe. It was advertised as having a brushless motor, a feature I was looking for.
When it arrived I discovered that it had a brushed motor and so I demanded a partial refund and that the seller change the listing.

I got the refund and the seller changed the listing.

In fact, every listing I could find on EBay for a similar 7x14 lathe changed. This led me to believe that all of the blue and white, 7x14 lathes are the same unit, sold by the same people regardless of who the seller is.

They look like the standard Chinese offerings. One place to compare is Alibaba

You'll see everything that is available to importers and who the suppliers are. There are many companies that offer these products and those that work directly with good manufacturers can provide slightly better quality stuff. But, if you read through the experiences of forum members none are absolutely turn-key.

Read and learn....

John

Hello John,

Off-course all cheap machines are china or taiwan.

IMHO one can not compare alibaba/aliexpress sellers to a reputable european seller which actually is importing machines under own brand (similar to Precision Mathews in the USA).

I have no relationship with paulimot. But I do know they check all their machines at the Neu Ulm shop and they offer quality products.

And warranty is virtually not existent when you buy from china directly.

Hello John,

Off-course all cheap machines are china or taiwan.

IMHO one can not compare alibaba/aliexpress sellers to a reputable european seller which actually is importing machines under own brand (similar to Precision Mathews in the USA).

I have no relationship with paulimot. But I do know they check all their machines at the Neu Ulm shop and they offer quality products.

And warranty is virtually not existent when you buy from china directly.

I’m not disputing your experience with this seller. Just pointing out the similarity of product and one source to understand marketing/supply chain dynamics.
The more information we have the better decisions we can make.

Also, a tool can check out fine and be within manufacturer specs and still be unsuitable. It all depends on your expectation of use. I only have my own experience and the experiences others have related to go on.

The OP expressed a desire to not have to fix anything after purchase. That’s why I suggested buying used from someone willing to help with setup. This is only possible new with professional quality machines AFAIK.

New Chinese hobby grade machines do require attention from my experience and all reports I’ve read. I just want people coming into the hobby to have the best experience possible and more information is the best way to make that happen.

Cheers,

Bit more research and the Emco Maximat Super 11 seems perfect. Benchable (just) with german quality, 600mm CtoC, metric and a gearbox! Seems to be going from £3K-5K used which is just about doable.

Attachments

• super110.jpg
    super110.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 259
Back