Hi-end Benchtop Lathes?

Ratch

Registered
Registered
Hi all.

Wanting to purchase a good quality lathe (and milling machine) that must offer the following:

Fit on benchtop.
Minimum 500mm between centres.
Thread cutting gearbox.
Require no ‘fixing’ from new to start using (quality).

There seems to be a massive gap between cheap Chinese stuff and hi-end / used industrial equipment. I’m looking for a level above hobby stuff.

I’m in England / Europe. The only brands I can identify that offer the above have all had worrying reviews in terms of quality.

SIEG
WARCO
OPTIMUM

Any advice (other than buy a big used professional machine) appreciated.

Ratch, are you looking for an imperial or metric machine ? Much of the used industrial machinery available will be imperial, not all but a lot will be, also can you accommodate a larger machine than you mentioned ? Your budget will also have a bearing on what you buy!
Boxford machines are well worth considering if you search for the right one, in the later and larger models you will be able to find metric machines.
A bit more info on what you want or need , what you intend to make or do will assist with advice given
John

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.

It should be metric. It must fit on my tool benchtop. Willing to pay more for a quality machine.

Accessories like a fixed steady etc will be needed. Mainly want to make things like axles and custom bolts and rods / linkages etc - precision is important but not to crazy levels. Don’t want to mess with changing gears and belts for thread cutting hence a gearbox.

Wabeco D6000 and Wabeco milling machines.

These do look great even at 3 x price of the Chinese stuff. It’s a bit much for a beginner but in my experience, best to just buy right the first time - I’m planning to really get into this and hopefully for a long time.

Being in the U.K. it would be worth having a look on this site U.K. Model Engineering site however I feel you may have to go down the imported route to find a small metric machine with the screw cutting gearbox ? For a quality machine consider Myford but it comes in imperial only for direct screw cutting with the gearbox, the later big bore version would possibly be best but more expensive.
Most of the others from industry or larger top end hobby machines are cabinet mounted though in some cases you could possibly dispense with the cabinet. A table top machine does limit your choices.
If you purchase imported Far East machines from a reliable supplier with a good reputation for backup you should be ok, the quality of these has improved dramatically over the last 20 years and whilst they may not be as good as a European made machine a great many people use them and turn out some excellent work.

These do look great even at 3 x price of the Chinese stuff. It’s a bit much for a beginner but in my experience, best to just buy right the first time - I’m planning to really get into this and hopefully for a long time.
I am not sure these machines have a direct drive screw cutting gearbox ? Look on Pro-Machines web site in the U.K. and the manual/spec sheet — seems you have to change toothed belts etc ??

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for a machine that will be "quality" right from the start I would definitely suggest buying from a fellow hobbyist. Ideally you can find someone upgrading, or moving out of the hobby due to age who will be willing to assist by demonstrating the machine before you buy it and helping you get it set-up in your shop.

Either new or used will require some degree of set-up and if you can find an experienced person to help you will be miles ahead. Find out if there is a local hobby group that meets nearby, or if any vocational schools offer training that looks good to you. This forum is a great resource but nothing beats an experienced set of eyes and hands for setting you on the correct path.

Cheers,

John

I am not sure these machines have a direct drive screw cutting gearbox ? Look on Pro-Machines web site in the U.K. and the manual/spec sheet — seems you have to change toothed belts etc ??

Yeh just checked - even their top model needs manual changing. Possibly willing to put up with that.

The OPTIMUM brand is far eastern made with some German finishing and as you say, I have seen amazing work done on Chinese stuff - I just wont know what to look for and don't want to spend time fixing things like casting sand in the gearboxes (!) and uneven bed ways (!!), stripped threads and misaligned locating dowels at assembly.

Back