HF rant about their Nitrile gloves..

At least the Romans didn't have to support a bureaucracy with taxes that is supposed to create standards and enforce them in the name of "consumer protection" but doesn't.
The only time consumer protection is worth any money to a lawyer is when he's got them dead to rights. Federal workplace standards can be cashed in on so much more lucratively, since the responsibilities to protect workers go way beyond the PPE manufacturer- employers are responsible. And you can imagine how much lawyers might prefer picking off and harvesting small undefended entities from a smorgasbord of legal accountability.

I am using them for painting and prep cleaning of the metal right now. They aren't good for anything else, they tear much more easily than the previous generation.

I gave up on 5 mil gloves years ago. Now the 7 mil gloves are getting bad. I wonder when the 9 mil gloves will become impractical?

From what little I have read, gloves are dipped and the finger tips are naturally thicker than the rest. It seems we may have to wait a bit for @pontiac428 to access the relevant standards, but I was hoping to see if there were actual standards for gloves. Not so much the chemical compatibility, or permeability which I found a bit of information on, but more for how (exactly) and where they are physically measured.
"Actual standards" only apply to an employer's legal requirement to protect their workers. Standards do not apply to consumers until the insult of cut corners becomes a public health concern. There are actual standards that are legally enforceable, and those start with NIOSH and are selectively enforced by OSHA. What the chinese manufacturer (and HF) don't care about is being sued, because a shrewd employer will only purchase and use gloves that meet standards accepted by the law. HF is not a contractor supply, they are a end user retail store. If a contractor needs to comply with a law, he'll go to Grainger and get the right stuff. And if the chinese manufacturer wants to measure their gloves at the thickest point of the middle finger tip and write that on the box, who is stopping them? No law means no standard, no standard means no enforcement, no enforcement means no control. Consumers are not entitled to such control in an economy of choice and the pursuit of the lowest price.

"Actual standards" only apply to an employer's legal requirement to protect their workers. Standards do not apply to consumers until the insult of cut corners becomes a public health concern. There are actual standards that are legally enforceable, and those start with NIOSH and are selectively enforced by OSHA. What the chinese manufacturer (and HF) don't care about is being sued, because a shrewd employer will only purchase and use gloves that meet standards accepted by the law. HF is not a contractor supply, they are a end user retail store. If a contractor needs to comply with a law, he'll go to Grainger and get the right stuff. And if the chinese manufacturer wants to measure their gloves at the thickest point of the middle finger tip and write that on the box, who is stopping them? No law means no standard, no standard means no enforcement, no enforcement means no control. Consumers are not entitled to such control in an economy of choice and the pursuit of the lowest price.
Sad state of affairs when non human entities have more rights than humans.

But consumers can always vote with their pocket books. Don't support purveyors of crap or buy crap products. Return the defective and subpar products, claim they are deficient and unfit for purpose. Make a stink in the store. Then move on, and look for better quality. If only there was a fool proof way to do that. Price does not dictate quality, it may indicate it, but is not a guarantor.

Perhaps you have access to all the regs, but nowhere in my searches including on govt agencies, did they actually indicate ANY thickness standards or how they were measured and where they were measured. Load of mumbo jumbo about tons of other things, but nothing I could measure with a micrometer. I want things to measure - so I can reject the product if deficient.

The best nitrile gloves I have seen are the ones the coroners use. I'm not sure who makes them, but the ones I've seen are purple and much longer at the wrist for apparent reasons. I don't know what specs are, but I will find out! I bet they are pretty expensive, and the extended wrist portion is unnecessary for most non-blood and guts work.

If you are looking for a standard, a good place to start will be Code of Federal Regulations. 21CFR 800.20 Surgical gloves or 3examination gloves are medical devices.

If you are looking for a standard, a good place to start will be Code of Federal Regulations. 21CFR 800.20 Surgical gloves or 3examination gloves are medical devices.
That's a good place to look, thanks.

Edit: the primary check seems to be a water leak test, not material thickness. The CFR says nothing about thickness. Filling a glove with water tells us it can hold some weight, which is somewhat of an indicator.

Last edited:
That's a good place to look, thanks.

Edit: the primary check seems to be a water leak test, not material thickness. The CFR says nothing about thickness. Filling a glove with water tells us it can hold some weight, which is somewhat of an indicator.
The gloves stretch from the water weight. The test seems rather primitive in that no distinction is made for different size or style of glove though. I would think that a good test would be puncture resistance from sharp objects. There may be a specification for that.

These are the gloves our coroner's office uses. They are not as expensive as I thought, and lots of folks sell it. Open the link and scroll down for the specs. Here are the thickness areas reported:
  • Fingertip Thickness: 0.15 mm (5.9 mil).
  • Palm Thickness: 0.12 mm (4.7 mil).
  • Tensile Strength: 21 MPa.

Back