HF micrometer set or go EBay?

FWIW, I have an inexpensive set as well as a Mitutoyo 0-1"
If I measure my 1" gauge block the Mitutoyo is bang on. The MIC is off by 0.0005 to 0.001 depending on how tight I adjust.
Just wondering, are you not able to adjust/calibrate the MIC? (Also, what is MIC? I’m not familiar with the name)

And are you saying that even using the ratchet (or is it a friction thimble?) the reading varies? And would that be from using varying force? Or do you get different readings when tightening at about the same force?

@francist
Thanks for the comment!
I think that’s one of the coolest ideas I’ve heard in a long time!

By the way, I designed and implemented a circuit which turns on our garbage disposal when I bring a magnet near a sensor that is mounted under the granite counter top for a clean look.

Do you think this disposal switch circuit is something I should post for HM folks? It is not really a machinist topic, so I am not for sure which forum it would go into. Would you be interested in seeing it? It is pretty simple, but that was the objective.

Dave L.

Just wondering, are you not able to adjust/calibrate the MIC? (Also, what is MIC? I’m not familiar with the name)

And are you saying that even using the ratchet (or is it a friction thimble?) the reading varies? And would that be from using varying force? Or do you get different readings when tightening at about the same force?
Made In China
Friction thimble
Calibrated at 1", out by 0.0005 @ 2"
Also the test blocks provided with the MIC set do not match my standard gauge block set (0.0005 difference)

Last edited:
t is not really a machinist topic, so I am not for sure which forum it would go into. Would you be interested in seeing it?
I would indeed, as probably would some others too. The range of interests here is far and wide -- and that's only from the regular contributors / commenters. There's a whole of raft of lurkers out there that we don't even know about!

Anyway, I saw this forum from the list -- DIY Electronics -- maybe it would be a good starting place?

-frank

Hi @francist
I would indeed, as probably would some others too. The range of interests here is far and wide -- and that's only from the regular contributors / commenters. There's a whole of raft of lurkers out there that we don't even know about!

Thanks. OK, I will go back 10 years and see if I can dig up the circuit sketch. If not I will draw it up and put a few words with it. It should not take long.

You are right about "a whole raft of lurkers". I posted my VFD conversion in the early fall of 2021. According to HM, it shows 204 downloads of the Part II description todate and even more have looked at the pictures and other attachments. But hardly anyone has responded to it since the initial posting. Maybe it was just too detailed ... or maybe they don't like the way I did things! Anyway it has been very reliable.

Dave L.

@francist

Per your suggestion it is posted:
I did find my original sketch, but it was a quick sketch without words and was pretty dirty as it was used during the construction, so I redrew it and wrote out a short description.

MAGNETICALLY ACTUATED GARBAGE DISPOSAL

Dave L.

Back