HF micrometer set or go EBay?

One of the nice things about the Brown and Sharpe mics if you can find the type is having the markings at a slight angle. You can clearly see what marking you are on then. I like it on my B&S.

Also Mitutoyo is a great mic. I am super happy with my mit.

Lufkin fan here. Although my nice set, for when it really matters, is a BS 10ths.
No digital here...
Lufkins the price was usually right. And they are easily adjustable to my "feel" vs the prior owner.
Why pay more?

Daryl
MN

I have been very happy with all of the mics (and other measuring tools) that I have bought from EBAY. Most have been ready to use, a few have needed some cleaning. One needed some deep cleaning. None were scrapped or passed on. Easy to get a good tool for an affordable price.

I had a cheap Chinese set 1-2-3 plus the standards , not worth it imo . The faces of the mics looked like they were lapped in with sand paper , the worst part for me was that they were hard to read . The graduation marks lined up wonky , they did have a smooth feel . Sold them and got Starrett , waited for a good deal on the bay . Got a 1" w/carbide face , smooth up to .7 and then drags a bit . Then I got a 1-2" w/carbide faces and smooth . Still looking for a 2-3" .

Last edited:
All mine are starret or B&S. All used off ebay except a 2-9” set I bought from a local surplus shop.

Nice thing is my two sets that cover larger ranges have standards bars in to confirm they are proper, but I can also use the standards on my fixed mics to confirm they are also set properly,

All work great. No digital or except a couple cheapo verniers.

Cheap caliper is fine, micrometer needs to be more accurate. Cause....

Micrometer.

Fowler is available from major suppliers at a decent price, but as others have said used is probably okay. People who buy and use precision measuring tools usually care enough to take care of them.

John

Back