Hex Stock - uses.

I ordered a batch of offcuts from eBay that was supposed to be a mix of round and square stock, but was delivered a bunch of hex stock instead (with some bat). I can’t say I’ve ever seen any YouTube machinists do anything with Hex stock. What do people use it for? Other than making nuts, I can’t imagine the use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At time in my life I purchased tons of hex bar stock for making axel for wheels use on hangar doors.

It still nice for making parts the hex gives a nice look too.

Dave

I recently used a piece of hex to make a tall nut for a tailstock clamp. That was about the easiest possible method I can imagine. Old bench vises often used swivel locks that were hexagonal or half hex and half round so you could either tighten them with the handle or put a wrench on the hex part.

Hopefully nobody needs to do this, but a piece of hex turned by an impact gun is a method for loosening stuck 3-jaw chucks.

If it’s of decent size it makes nice handles — better grip than round material and no need for knurling…

IMG_0113.jpeg

FIRST Robotics kids Love, love,love their 1/2" hex stock
Ever-frickin-where on that bot!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. I guess to use the stock to make a hex collet block, you still neee to ensure that the faces are machined and parallel? I guess it being hex just gives you an easier start than using round?

I can see Bolts being easier when starting from
Hex as well.

I hadn’t thought of machinist jacks. That interesting because they are one of the next projects on my list.

I now have this to work with:

ab4a1becf4494c18d3632385084eb92f.jpg

The seller admitted the problem was there end and sending the square stock as well. So this is now a bonus free bunch of Hex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use hex brass or copper stock for making ferrules for tool handles. Tool handle ferrules don't have to be ugly. Good use of shorts.
DanK

Oh, and if you drill out and sharpen a hex bit like a mortising chisel in woodworking, then it makes a nice accurate hex out of a predrilled hole for holding a bolt securely. I did this starting with a connecting nut, and it works perfectly, but they are expensive by comparison.

Back