Hex Stock - uses.

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
I ordered a batch of offcuts from eBay that was supposed to be a mix of round and square stock, but was delivered a bunch of hex stock instead (with some bat). I can’t say I’ve ever seen any YouTube machinists do anything with Hex stock. What do people use it for? Other than making nuts, I can’t imagine the use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty easy to make it round as long as the size is big enough.

Pretty easy to make it round as long as the size is big enough.

Absolutely, I don’t think I’ll waste it, but just wondered if there was a better use or type of project in which Hex stock in its original form is more useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat me to it. Another vote for custom length/size standoffs. Or, metal #2 pencils maybe?

One nice thing about hex is how easy it is to hold in a 3 jaw....

I was going to make an ER collet holder with some bronze hex I have.

John

I use large Hex stock to make collet holders for the lathe or mill. Also taps & rol taps are "easy" to make when using Hex stock. I also use Hex stock for custom bolts.
Turning Hex stock round is pretty hard on tool life because the tip of the tool has to (re)start cutting the stock 6 times per revolution. I use cheap and worn inserts for this job.

Yes, definitely hex head bolts, I have made lots of them for the marine steam engines that I designed and made, mostly with higher heads that the ordinary style, and with crowned heads, higher heads are nice for use on machines, where standard type soon round over the heads from frequent adjusting, using hex stock eliminates the trouble and time to mill hex heads on special bolts.

We used hex stock for shafts on take up rollers on conveyors. Takes special hex sealed bearings that are good in wet areas. Like pulling fruit out of tanks of water/chlorine.

Back