Hex Headed Taps

tackit

Registered
Registered
How expensive and would it be safe to have a set of taps: 1/4, 3/8, 5/16, 3/8, 7 1/6 and 1/2" have a hex drive head ground on them? Thanks guys

Last edited:
Because I have arthritic hands, tightening the t handle chucks hurt, and I can't always get them tight enough.

I have a few long magnetic and snap on type holders I can use to hold the taps.... I can SS weld a deep well 1/4" socket for added strength onto a holder's shaft and use a sliding T hand for a handle.

Last edited:
You don't need a hex head on a tap - if you have square head taps. I assume that you'd like to use a socket to drive them, but if they're square heads, you can use a 12-point socket for the same purpose for special applications where you may "need" to use an extension or ratchet. Of course, it's best to use the proper tap wrench (t-handle or bar type) 99% of the time.

Sure you could use an eight point, I have several 4 points for just this purpose.

But will sockets hold as tightly without slop like a hex drive? I've got WIHA hex drive holders that have absolutely no slop in them.

Last edited:
I don't suffer from arthritis (yet), but sloppy tap holders drive me nuts too. What about coming up with a helper device so that you could tighten the existing T-handle wrenches easier? I'm thinking something along the lines of a miniature strap wrench or something. Even if it had to be a dedicated bench fixture it might be worth it in the long run.

-frank

Grind three flats on the bench grinder and tap using a hand drill with a clutch.

I don't suffer from arthritis (yet), but sloppy tap holders drive me nuts too. What about coming up with a helper device so that you could tighten the existing T-handle wrenches easier? I'm thinking something along the lines of a miniature strap wrench or something. Even if it had to be a dedicated bench fixture it might be worth it in the long run.

-frank
That would be a huge improvement Frank. I have a small strap wrench down in the basement, I'll give it a try

Back