Hex Headed Taps

How about welding an old socket to the top of a tap wrench, so you can use it with a breaker bar?

Because I have arthritic hands, tightening the t handle chucks hurt, and I can't always get them tight enough........

Buy you a set of Starrett tap handles. They are so smooth to operate and can easily tighten then on a tap. I have arthritic hands too and sometimes have a time with tap handles. In fact since I bought them, I've tossed out all of my crappy junky ones.

I use at least very grippy gloves to tighten my tap wrenches. One (an old STD, which makes me laugh every time I see the logo) requires additional help or it slips in the first couple turns, so I use channel lock pliers. Just a little extra torque from the pliers (not anywhere near straining the part) ensures that they stay tight enough through the entire process, but still open (with the pliers) easily enough when the time comes.

I have a larger, old Craftsman that works great with just hand pressure. Only my "small" one needs help.

You can use a hex nut and press it onto the square shank of the tap. It is a common trick in an auto repair shop. Then you can use it with standard mechanic tools, even impact wrenches, for tight places. I have seen this idea used lots of times, and have bought tool lots with taps modified that way. Strange, but I do not seem to have one on hand. Took me 10 minutes to find it online using a search engine:
Edit: The nut can be squeezed on using a large enough vise if you do not have a press.
Second edit: Don't be a fool like the guy in the video -- WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN A PRESS IS IN USE. I wear safety glasses and a face shield when using the press. In fact, always wear safety glasses in the shop, just go get in the habit. I have seen parts and pieces fly off a press under high loading, and it is scary! A flak vest would not be overkill...

Last edited:
You can use a hex nut and press it onto the square shank of the tap. It is a common trick in an auto repair shop. Then you can use it with standard mechanic tools, even impact wrenches, for tight places. I have seen this idea used lots of times, and have bought tool lots with taps modified that way. Strange, but I do not seem to have one on hand. Took me 10 minutes to find it online using a search engine:
Edit: The nut can be squeezed on using a large enough vise if you do not have a press.
That's really cool. I have to try that just for the experience of making and using one. Thanks Bob

Lisle Tap sockets work well and can be used with standard socket handles and extensions:

Smaller Tap Set:
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=398

Larger Tap Set:
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=402

I have the smaller size set that I inherited from my Dad. I don't use them all the time but they have sure helped a few times when a standard tap handle won't fit the work envelope.

I looked them up, I'll see if I can buy them at NAPA. Thanks Clueless.

Buy you a set of Starrett tap handles. They are so smooth to operate and can easily tighten then on a tap. I have arthritic hands too and sometimes have a time with tap handles. In fact since I bought them, I've tossed out all of my crappy junky ones.
I have three of them saved in my Amazon account, just waiting for unexpected repair bills on the house AC, furnace burners that rusted out from LP , my pickups AC and a new tire to get paid before I ask wifey for more tool money. :chunky:

I use at least very grippy gloves to tighten my tap wrenches. One (an old STD, which makes me laugh every time I see the logo) requires additional help or it slips in the first couple turns, so I use channel lock pliers. Just a little extra torque from the pliers (not anywhere near straining the part) ensures that they stay tight enough through the entire process, but still open (with the pliers) easily enough when the time comes.

I have a larger, old Craftsman that works great with just hand pressure. Only my "small" one needs help.

I don't understand why tool companies can't come up with a sense-ably priced tapping handle that stays tight, I've never owned good ones, just the moderate pricey but still junky type. I'm going to try the strap wrench thing.

The photo shows the kind I use. I had to put fuel line hose on the cross bar so It wouldn't hurt so much, that's a 5/8 block with 5/16 threads I cut. Threding Blocks 5.jpg

Back