Here we go!

Help! I just got the electrician out here this week to redo some power in my house for other things, and took the opportunity to have him run all I need out to the garage and install the RPC for me. The problem is that it appears the plug has been cut from the lathe! I didn't realize this until now, and he's ready to do the install. I don't have any manuals for this thing to grab a wiring schematic, though it appears to be wired through an Allen Bradley box. Does anyone know what I need to proceed here? He's asking for a diagram or schematic to know what parts he needs to use to connect the power, but I have no idea where to start. I plan to call the place I got the lathe from tomorrow when they're open, but since I took delivery of it so long ago, I'm sure I don't have much hope of accomplishing anything there.

There's also a "On/Off" switch on the A-B box that looks to take a key. I don't have that key anywhere in the box of accessories that came with the lathe. Anyone have any ideas?
IMG_0118.jpegIMG_0119.jpegIMG_0122.jpeg

They probably had it hard wired into a box. Does that cord come out of the A-B box? You might open that A-B box as it may have wiring diagrams on the inside of the cover. That could help the electrician figure out what needs to be done.

I got the box open- looks like the wires will need to be pulled, and a new set used to construct a new cord/plug to run to my outlets. There was a diagram on the inside. I sent him these photos- hoping it's not too much of a job to recreate a plug/cord, but we'll see what he says. I know, some folks are probably thinking that now is a perfect opportunity to run a VFD, but I want to run multiple units and don't want to install multiple VFDs, so RPC is the way I decided to go for it. Not the start I was hoping for, but with any luck I'll have this thing powered soon so I can see how much more of a project I have to get it operational, lol.

I'm still not sure what to do about that on/off key switch.

IMG_0127.jpegIMG_0126.jpegIMG_0124.jpeg

It should be obvious to any competent electrician, that L!,L2, and L3 would connect to the output of the phase converter, along with a ground wire attached to the housing ground terminal; The keyed switch appears to be in the on position, I assume that it would be connected to the control circuit of the magnetic starter, if it is not in the on position, the switch likely could be simply jumped.

@jpfrog

You're in a major city, right? I would remove the key switch cover (label the wires and take pictures so you can re-install) and take it to an Allen-Bradley distributor and ask if they can get you a key (if you want a key switch) or a compatible non-key replacement. A good locksmith can make you a key.

It worries me that your Electrician didn't know how to connect it. Did he take the cover off larger A-B box? If not, he doesn't want the work. Get a new Electrician. YMMV.

Congrats on the new lathe...
Ok, As an Industrial Electrician, this is easy and straight forward. If your sparky is confused...Get a new sparky!!!

Back