Here we go!

jpfrog

Registered
Registered
I am incredibly nervous today- I just bought a lathe this morning! I have wanted an old South Bend since I started going to my gunsmith 15 years ago or so, as that is what he uses and his work is impeccable (yes, great work can be achieved on just about anything if the operator is great). However, in recent years as I've gotten closer to actually putting something in my garage, I've been leaning toward new models from either Taiwan or China out of fear of having to sink a ton of money and time into fixing up an old SB. Those, however, have sky-rocketed in price in the last couple of years....

Well, today I found an old South Bend heavy 10, across the country, that is very similar to the model at my smith's (he has a CL187RB, and this is a CL0187RB). It appears to be in pretty good shape, and was at a price I am comfortable with considering the attachments/tools that come with it and it's apparent condition, and is much less than a new lathe from overseas with none of the extra tooling/attachments. So, now I wait for my check to travel across the country to be cashed, and the lathe to be shipped. NERVOUS!

Congratulations, on the new lathe. South Bends, in my opinion, are well worth the money and any trouble to put them in good repair, They have "Good Bones". I will take old iron over some new machines anytime. All the tooling that goes with it will be well worth the investment. Enjoy!

Richard

We will expect pics when that happens ---
Will do! In the meantime, your location out in St. Helena has made me think I should open a bottle from a vineyard out there instead of popping the cork on a bourbon I was planning on having while I get dinner ready for the family.

Come 5:00, I will be having the bourbon, then some wine with dinner! The view out our front door is mostly all vineyard, and my business catered to wineries, I retired about 10 years ago and sold the business. The buyer did not want all the machinery so I had to bring it home (poor me).

Well, the SB arrived this afternoon. I need to get an engine hoist to get the thing off the pallet, and I have some leveling pads for it once it's in its final position. I also need to get power into the garage for it- I have the RPC already but I don't have the circuit set up yet. So cranking this thing up will have to wait until all of that is completed. Still, though, I am one excited guy!

SouthBend.jpeg

That's awesome. Looks really clean!

Back