• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Hercus 260 (south Bend Gs26-075)

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Boris Ludwig

Here is the reason for learning the threading...

I got myself a quick change tool holder/post but my lathe doesn't use a "T" nut so I had to make a post bolt to fit the compound slide. The thread is 12 TPI but the nut for the tool post is a metric 2 mm pitch. So I determined to learn what I needed to make one.

20171030_083521.jpg

What made it complicated for a novice like me was that I had to learn and execute both a metric and a whitworth thread.

One last thing I need to do is get some spanner flats milled into it so I can tighten it down in the compound.
But I got it done. Its a very humble achievement but I learnt a lot about how to use this lathe and about general turning too.

20171029_114445.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Here is the reason for learning the threading...

I got myself a quick change tool holder/post but my lathe doesn't use a "T" nut so I had to make a post bolt to fit the compound slide. The thread is 12 TPI but the nut for the tool post is a metric 2 mm pitch. So I determined to learn what I needed to make one.

View attachment 245611

What made it complicated for a novice like me was that I had to learn and execute both a metric and a whitworth thread.

One last thing I need to do is get some spanner flats milled into it so I can tighten it down in the compound.
But I got it done. Its a very humble achievement but I learnt a lot about how to use this lathe and about general turning too.

View attachment 245612
Very nice job, Ludwig!

Boris Ludwig

If the "chips" are long like curly hair rather than short "C's" or they are brown or dark blue in colour does that indicate something is incorrectly adjusted like speed or feed rate?

20171103_150813.jpg

Last edited:
[6]
5 [7]