Henry Ford's Kitchen Sink Engine (my version)

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I became interested in the Ford engine years back but never really got the bug to make one until after building the Benz engine. The Benz engine has a sliding plate for the intake valve which is rather odd since he used a regular valve for the exhaust. The Ford engine uses plumbing parts that were available at the time for the intake and exhaust valves. A brass check valve for the intake valve and a shut off valve for the exhaust.
I got these at the local hardware store to get started.
IMG_2308.JPG

As far as I can find out the original engine had a compression ratio of 2.2 to 1 which is quite low with a 5" stroke. The original piston was 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" in diameter I am not sure which and around 3 feet in overall length. I would like to stay within a 9" x 15" overall footprint or less than 1/2 size of the original.

I will be trying for a compression ratio of 4.5 to 1 but there are several problems with that. I will be using a 3" stroke with a 0.875 diameter piston so I need to make the combustion chamber (the 3/4" tee) and the connecting plumbing much smaller in order to raise the compression ratio.

This shows the piston and the seamless cylinder I turned on the lathe. Note the threads are made extra long so the cylinder threads well into the tee and uses up some of the extra room.
IMG_2311.JPG

The piston travel will be flush with the cylinder end and can just be seen inside the tee.
IMG_2312.JPG

The stand was sealed with an aluminum slug that extends up into the tee to use up some more space.
IMG_2314.JPG

The rear plug also has an aluminum plug that extends into the combustion chamber to use up even more room.
IMG_2317.JPG

I don't know just how much these changes will make but the combustion chamber is definitely smaller now.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Good start Ray. I seen the Benz engine. I like that too.
Thanks Tom

The next thing I need to do is see if I have any interference problems with a 3" stroke and still stay in my desired footprint of 9" X 15". I assembled the stand and cylinder parts and mounted on a scrap piece of wood.
IMG_2318.JPG

I made up a piston and connecting rod.
IMG_2320.JPG

I really like to use ball bearings so here they are for the crankshaft mounted in 0.400 thick aluminum stand.
IMG_2324.JPG

I just couldn't leave the stand as it was it looked so ugly so I rounded over some corners and polished it up a bit.
IMG_2327.JPG

Next will be a crank arm for the crankshaft.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Welcome aboard Robert

The crank arm as promised.
IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG
IMG_2333.JPG

The two previous pictures tell the whole story even with a 1/2" deep relief slot there is no way a 3" stroke into a 0.875 hole is going to work. There just isn't enough room if I want to stay within my overall length of 15".
I could shorten the stroke but that means the compression ratio will go way down and I don't want that. I think what I will do is make
the cylinder larger with a 1" piston if I can make room in the 3/4" tee. This won't guarantee that there won't be any interference problems but they will be much less.

Thanks for looking
Ray

You can't build an engine out of plumbing parts. ;)

On the lathe I removed the threads from one end of the 3/4" tee and as much added material that I dared.
IMG_2334.JPG

I turned a new cylinder with a 1" inside diameter and reduced the outside of the cylinder so it would press into the tee.
IMG_2338.JPG

Made a new piston there is a sizeable difference from 0.875 to 1".
IMG_2339.JPG

I still had to cut a 1/2" deep relief slot for the connecting rod but now my interference problems should be over.
IMG_2342.JPG

Next I will work on the final board sized to my desired footprint and mount the components where they are going to go for a final check.
Thanks for looking
Ray

I found a nice piece of poplar and cut it 9" X 15" the maximum size I wanted. I brushed on a dark stain and added four rubber feet.
The crankshaft mount was narrowed up by 1" and squared to the board and securely bolted in place.
IMG_2344.JPG

A closeup of the crankshaft mount.
IMG_2345.JPG

This shows about where the cylinder will be mounted.
I can't do that until I have the crank arm installed with the piston and everything aligned properly.
IMG_2348.JPG

I pressed the crank throw onto a steel bushing and then pressed the bushing onto the shaft.
I even gave it a nice coat of paint.
IMG_2350.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back