"Helping Hands"

j ferguson

Active User
Registered
I hope these things can still be found, maybe under some other name. They look like set screws but have a male hex and sharp point on one end and are hardened. You use them to transfer hole centers from something having threaded holes where you want to attach a plate.

The idea is that you screw these into the existing threaded holes with the points maybe .025 proud of the surface, then you locate the plate to be attached to the existing surface where you want it to be and tap it with a hammer. The "helping hands" make little pricks which you then improve with a center-punch and with some care you drill the new holes concentric with the old holes, counter-bore the holes in the new plate and wind up with an assembly that looks like it was born that way. You use a small socket on the holder in which you store the helping hands to unscrew them.

I last saw a set of these things 50 years ago so maybe they aren't made any more.

If the above description of their use isn't clear, just say so, and I'll try harder.

John

Hi John,

What you are looking for are threaded transfer punches. Here is a popular place to buy them. Enco

I think this is what you are looking for.

Here is a picture of a set I borrowed from MSC Direct.

0430020-23.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Randy, what's listed with Enco is what I know them as. I'm sure they've been around for a long time so I'm not sure what they were called back in the day. When I hear "helping hands", I think of the soldering aid used in electronics.

Useful devices. It occurs to me that I could make some from broken taps.

Bingo. I'm pretty sure that "helping hand" was etched on the hex case. Now for a really tough one. What was "Ape Sweat" used for? And yes, it was a branded product.

i suppose I'm a bit like Rip Van Winkle - 55 years away from the shop. I've got my trusty 1943 Machinery's Handbook, Mauser and Helios Calipers and a few Starrett things from those days.

I have to say that this is really a wonderful web-site - so much intelligence here.

Thanks much to you all.

John

Bingo. I'm pretty sure that "helping hand" was etched on the hex case. Now for a really tough one. What was "Ape Sweat" used for? And yes, it was a branded product.

:rofl:

Not sure but what comes to mind is I remember Keith Fenner & his "monkey sh*t". I wonder what kind of caulking it actually is, I would like to get some. Reminds me of silly putty in a way.

Generically, those are called "Transfer Screws". Heimann may be the most popular brand of higher quality examples. The popular auction site has many listed.
I have used them and they work well for what they are designed for. I have also used cone point socket set screws in a pinch for that.

when I need transfer screws, I just turn a point on set screws.

I guess if I organize a convention of all the Italian people knowing what a Heimann transfer screw is, I must rent this space:

9_21.jpg

Everybody I explain the use of those punches is excited by the idea, but there is nobody distributing them here, and they have to be imported for astounding shipping prices.
I made some for the wood, simply filing the tip of some scraps of threaded bar.
For the metal, of course, is better to have them hardened.

9_21.jpg

Back