Help with making this two piece part

Archer60x

Registered
Registered
Hello, i am new to machining. My PM728VT is on order. I have a long term goal to make parts like this one that i designed. I am not sure if this kind of part is one i should start on.

It would be a lot easier to make if i did it in two parts and bolted them together. You can see if i make it two parts i run into this 1/4 20tpi threaded hole. I cannot move the hole.

Anyone have recommendations on how to make this two piece's then attach them back together?

The final part will be 6061 aluminum. The longest dimension is 3 inches.

My idea is once i have the two piece's. I combine them into one with aluminum screws with loc tite (not sure what kind yet). Then drill and tap that 1/4" 20tpi hole after the two pieces are connected together. THis way i and drilling and tapping into all aluminum (since the fastener will be aluminum).

Any other ideas or a better way of doing this part?

Thanks!
Chad

1702903808721.png
1702903817423.png

1702903799355.png

Looks like you'd have room for one or two 1/16" dowel pins for alignment (one to each side of the threaded hole you're trying to avoid). Then add a threaded hole in the clear area above it for a screw and you should have two pieces that assemble well.

Since you're designing these parts, you may find it worthwhile to make the large external radius either a faceted shape, or eliminate it altogether. If it really needs to be as shown, you can do it, but it will seem like a lot of extra work for that one feature.

Congrats on the new machine!

GsT

Thanks Gene! Yeah i do have room for pins then a fastender at the top.

Good point on the radius. I planned on using rotary table, but faceted will work until i get better at those kinds of operations. The top of the radius is the only important part. I can leave the bottom squared off.

Chad

Actually i tried putting M3 cap head screws in... i think i do have enough room.... I could use an aluminum fastener only on the one closest to the 1/4" hole. i just need to try it i guess.

1702906561491.png

Attachments

• 1702906519497.png
    1702906519497.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 3
That is a very intricate part for your first project.
Not trying to discourage you from trying though.
Joe

Aluminum fasteners in aluminum is not a good idea- it will gall and sieze. If that's what you were planning-?
Steel fasteners in aluminum works well

Aluminum fasteners in aluminum is not a good idea- it will gall and sieze. If that's what you were planning-?
Steel fasteners in aluminum works well
Just around the area i would be taping and threading that 1/4" hole, but i am starting to think there is enough clearance that i can go steel.

That is a very intricate part for your first project.
Not trying to discourage you from trying though.
Joe
I certainly do appreciate that. :) I will be doing much more basic things first. I will work my way up to this type of part eventually.

There is a lot going on with this part.

It would be helpful to know the intended use or at least tolerances. Is this part intended to be used in a wet environment, how much strength is required for the fasteners, etc. It appears that the 1/4-20 hole is partially in each of the two anticipated components. I would be inclined to use an aluminum braze, e.g. Miracle rod, for joining with two dowel pins for alignment. My understanding is the rod is a zinc alloy though, which might not be acceptable in a wet environment. Brazing will also destroy the temper in the aluminum so if strength is an issue, brazing may be a non starter.

Aside from that, a redesign of the part to enable machining from a single block may be the best answer for strength.

Back