Help with ID and dismantling lathe

With an a frame built across the opening make it about six foot above the opening . That way when you get it up a couple planks under but a cross the opening will let you not worry about it falling back down. Plus you can use moving rollers to roll it to the trailer or truck . One of HF engine hoists are worth owning . It could be used at the celler way and in the celler. Oh straps and chain too.

In the event you haven't seen this already, Investigator just posted a link in another thread to what appears to be a very concise effort on how to disassemble and move a SB lathe.

http://bluechipmachineshop.com/bc_b...Disassemble-a-South-Bend-Lathe-for-Moving.pdf

If you weren't in Wisconsin and he in Texas, I'd say you two ought get together!

-frank

I'm going to start tomorrow myself. I understand how you feel. I do have one major advantage, mine is on the ground floor and I can back up to it with a truck, trailer, and engine hoist.

I looked at my lathe, which is essentially the same as the one pictured. I cannot see access to all the bolts that attach the main pedestal to the bed. There are two bolts visible at the rear (below the gears) but the ones that should be roughly below the front spindle bearing, are not readily accessible, meaning getting to them would probably require removing the headstock, which I wouldn't recommend doing. IMHO it would be best to just take off what you can, chuck tailstock and maybe the cross slide, and move the lathe in one piece. Maybe get a couple of more guys to help...

Order the rebuild kit with book then follow the detailed instructions for tear down.

They are simple machines with few major assemblies that have not too many steps involved to remove any one assembly.

You have time so make many trios and take parts off until smaller...

Headstock will need to come off and it is heavy but not that bad.

Base is heaviest part after bed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Hello,
Just curious if anyone knew is it possible to remove the head stock from the lathe fully intact?

Thanks,
Mark

Hello,
Just curious if anyone knew is it possible to remove the head stock from the lathe fully intact?

Thanks,
Mark

I am not sure how you define intact. This was the headstock of my Heavy 10. Original belt cut in the background. Casting, spindle, cone pulleys and backgear are all together. A stud on either end to fasten this to the lathe bed.

I was replacing the belt so decided to remove the headstock so I could clean the headstock easier and also the lathe bed. Many decades of grime to remove.

Southbend_Heavy_10_headstock_removed_2976.jpg

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. The lighting in basement is very dark, i was trying to find how to remove it. Now that i know its possible i will try to find what bolts i can remove or loosen to get it off. Thanks!

Glad that is what you were looking for. This is the view of the underside of my headstock.

The studs are located in the centre of the headstock at either end. You should be able to see the threaded holes. You need to loosen the nuts on the studs. If I recall I removed the nuts then removed the studs once the headstock was on the bench.

The hole in the far right in the picture is for the registration pin.

Southbend_Heavy_10_headstock_underneath_2980.jpg

Back