Help with ID and dismantling lathe

mark10409

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I am looking for help identifying and dismantling this lathe. It is located in a basement, my only choice is to get it out in pieces. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

Lathe1.jpg

20170604_154232.jpg

Could be a Heavy 10 or bigger swing. Hard to tell from the picture.

You show the serial number which will allow finding the approx date of manufacture. The letters at the end confirm the swing, bed length etc.

This site has a lot of Southbend information.

http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_index.html

Looks like the lathe was made in the early 1940's

http://www.wswells.com/photos/serial_no/SN_info_3.JPG

Also this site.
http://www.southbendlathe.com/older-machines/serial-numbers

Taking this apart is not difficult, but the pieces will still be heavy.

Greg Halligan took apart a similar style machine, his was 13in. He has a series of videos. This is the first. It shows the parts he removed to get the lathe into his basement.

Once you confirm the swing so know the lathe size, I would get a book on restoration of the model from EBay. Some idea of the process/large pieces.

You will need to cut the belt then can remove the head.

The motor can be removed, then the motor mount, then the louvered door.

Tailstock easy to remove, also the compound.

I would wind the carriage all the way to the right, then remove the screws to allow removing the saddle from the apron. Support the apron before doing this so you do not bend the feed screw. You can then remove the apron. You can then remove the Quick Change Gear Box along with the feed screw.

You will be able to remove the bed from the base and remove the chip pan.

I purchased my flat belt from this site. He has leather and nylon/rubber flat belts. I got the nylon/rubber. Works well.

https://albinoindustrialbelting.com/

Last edited:
Dave,
Thank you for all the info! I will be looking at the links you provided. I only have to the end of the month to get it out, hope the pieces are light enough for one person to carry up the stairs :). Again, Thanks!

Mark

2 men is doable...1 is pretty tenuous for all of it. There are several "chunks" to that where you will need a 2nd able-bodied person to tackle the stairs. You might be able to handle it yourself if it was all on one level and you could get an engine hoist lift or die cart in there with you. Lots of it however you can dismantle and break-down and extricate in lone wolf mode.

Regardless, it will go much better for you if you put the time in up-front to study up on that machine and breaking down and moving metal lathes in general....lots and lots of detail online if you search. Good luck - it looks like a decent machine.

2 men is doable...1 is pretty tenuous for all of it. There are several "chunks" to that where you will need a 2nd able-bodied person to tackle the stairs. You might be able to handle it yourself if it was all on one level and you could get an engine hoist lift or die cart in there with you. Lots of it however you can dismantle and break-down and extricate in lone wolf mode.

Regardless, it will go much better for you if you put the time in up-front to study up on that machine and breaking down and moving metal lathes in general....lots and lots of detail online if you search. Good luck - it looks like a decent machine.

Thanks!

Do make a trip to harbor freight and get a come along then to lowes and buy a mess of 2 X 4 and assorted screws and other such things.

order the rebuild manual or kit as it has a book that gives detailed instructions for tearing it down.

The bed and base under the headstock are very heavy as is the legs at the tailstock.

Rolling the base upside down you may be able to get it apart but it may require big hammer and pipe.

The gear trains can be removed as most other parts and be careful with the leadscrew.

Best to get the gearbox and screw off and on the floor then get the screw out.

Get a couple 5 gallon buckets and a spray bottle with strong batch of dawn.

Put water and rag in bucket then use it to clean as you go.

You may need to hoist up the bed and base so scope out how you will attach the come long either to the wood a frame you make or ???

Test you lift in the basement first to be sure it is stable then hoist it out.

Do take a strong helper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Do make a trip to harbor freight and get a come along then to lowes and buy a mess of 2 X 4 and assorted screws and other such things.

order the rebuild manual or kit as it has a book that gives detailed instructions for tearing it down.

The bed and base under the headstock are very heavy as is the legs at the tailstock.

Rolling the base upside down you may be able to get it apart but it may require big hammer and pipe.

The gear trains can be removed as most other parts and be careful with the leadscrew.

Best to get the gearbox and screw off and on the floor then get the screw out.

Get a couple 5 gallon buckets and a spray bottle with strong batch of dawn.

Put water and rag in bucket then use it to clean as you go.

You may need to hoist up the bed and base so scope out how you will attach the come long either to the wood a frame you make or ???

Test you lift in the basement first to be sure it is stable then hoist it out.

Do take a strong helper.

Feeling way in over my head. .... Thank you all for wake up call :eek: 21 days and counting to get it out.

Thanks
Mark

I have that lathe, it's a South Bend heavy 10, though it looks like a short bed, I have the long version. I'd say yours is about 900 pounds all in. I got my lathe into my basement, in one piece, with two guys, without too much difficulty. Of course getting one out is a different story, but totally doable IMHO. I'll be up at my shop this weekend I will look carefully at how it might be disassembled.

Oh yeah Mark, bring a camera and take lots and lots of pictures....before....during...and after. Everything and anything to do with the machine...from all angles.

I guarantee that these will be a valuable resource for you to refer back to over and over again as you face Humpty-Dumpty later on at the new location. Organization up-front is key. Plastic ziploc bags and a marker and a couple of plastic milk crates will help keep the smaller bits from going walk-about on you until you need them.

You may have heard of Tubalcain, or Mr.Pete, a retired shop teacher with lots of online videos aimed at the hobby machinist. He has a good video on disassembling a lathe that you should watch (and another one on reassembly too). Here's the link to that >

3 weeks is plenty of time to get studied up and organized, especially if you can get in ahead of the moving day and start the tear-down on a stress-free basis. Less likely to break or lose anything that way and physically your body will appreciate you getting your exercise in smaller, controlled amounts. Also gives you time to come back later with the proper tool or accessory to do the job the "right way" after you first scope out what that is exactly first-hand.

Once again, good luck, and please post an update and some pics for us as we follow along vicariously with your adventure.

Given the time order the book and start taking parts out.

Things like tail stock, chucks and doors.

Anything that is not bolted to the lathe grab and take out.

While there confirm the actual model number to insure you get correct rebuild kit.

Best to tear it completely apart and clean all oil ways and replace felts and the like.

Back