Help With Grandpa & Dad's Old Machines!

Maria Cooper

Registered
Registered
I'm hoping I can get some help and information. My grandpa was a blacksmith and when he died, my Dad bought his shop and all the equipment and tools. He died a little over a year ago and my Mom is now ready to part with everything. We have several pieces of machinery that we are looking to sell to someone who will love them and use them as much as they did. Where is the best place to list them and find out the value of them? They all work. There is a grinder that has a tag saying Dyna and W & F Machine Works; a Wells Metal Band Saw 5M; a South Bend Lathe 9 in Swing 3 ft bed Catalog No. 25-Y, a Lincoln Arc Welder Idealarc 250 and there may be a few other things too that she wants to part with. I have pictures of everything. I appreciate any help I can get! Thank you!!

Id look up all the model numbers see when they were made and check ebay and craigslist for prices. Id list on craigslist probably sell faster.

Check on eBay and craigs list to see what similar items are going for. Prices for items seem to normalize fairly quickly. Condition matters and it would be helpful if you have a working knowledge of the equipment. There are a number of forums in the member area which list items bought and sold. If you are going to list items here or on other sites, clear pictures will help as will complete descriptions of what you have. Manufacturers, model numbers,and serial numbers will help immensely.

From what I have seen on this site, members are fair in their dealings and you certainly have the right interest group.

Good luck!

That Wells band saw could be worth $500-$1000 depending on condition and the number of similar saws in the area. I have it's big brother, an 8M

I assume the IdealArc is the one with the big crank on the front. If it doesn't have TIG capibility, then $250-$300 range would be about right.

Not sure about the grinder, never heard of that one before.

The South Bend lathe about $700 - $1800, depending on included accessories and condition.

Some pictures would be helpful. You will need 5 posts to post pictures, so respond to some of these comments.

It's all really about condition and the local market unless you have something very unique.

The good news is that you came to the right place, the members here are very helpful and friendly. We'll do our best to give an honest evaluation. It is also possible that one or more of the members in your area would be willing to have a look at the machines.

Just an FYI on eBay prices. You can filter search results on ended auctions. That way you know when it sold for what and if it didn't.

Best of luck

Thank you everyone for all your help! I know the equipment works. My Grandparents wanted all their belongings sold so that there was no fighting and my Dad purchased the shop and the equipment. Then my Dad was diagnosed with a rare disease and was unable to use it for more than a couple of years. It has sat since then. Everything is located in Monmouth, Illinois. My Grandpa was a well known blacksmith and welder in the area. I've looked on Ebay and other places and the prices are so varied. My Mom doesn't want to take advantage of anyone and just wants a fair price and for the items to go to someone who will use them. That's what Grandpa and Dad would have wanted too. I will gladly post some pictures when I am able to!

Check on eBay and craigs list to see what similar items are going for. Prices for items seem to normalize fairly quickly. Condition matters and it would be helpful if you have a working knowledge of the equipment. There are a number of forums in the member area which list items bought and sold. If you are going to list items here or on other sites, clear pictures will help as will complete descriptions of what you have. Manufacturers, model numbers,and serial numbers will help immensely.

From what I have seen on this site, members are fair in their dealings and you certainly have the right interest group.

Good luck!
I do have pictures of everything. But I will be honest, I don't know where some of the serial numbers are located, etc.! All the times I used to spend at my Grandpa's shop and I just never really asked a l9t of questions as a kid!

That Wells band saw could be worth $500-$1000 depending on condition and the number of similar saws in the area. I have it's big brother, an 8M

I assume the IdealArc is the one with the big crank on the front. If it doesn't have TIG capibility, then $250-$300 range would be about right.

Not sure about the grinder, never heard of that one before.

The South Bend lathe about $700 - $1800, depending on included accessories and condition.

Some pictures would be helpful. You will need 5 posts to post pictures, so respond to some of these comments.

It's all really about condition and the local market unless you have something very unique.

The good news is that you came to the right place, the members here are very helpful and friendly. We'll do our best to give an honest evaluation. It is also possible that one or more of the members in your area would be willing to have a look at the machines.

I appreciate all your help! I feel like such a dummy with all of this equipment! I figured anyone in these forums would be helpful and get me in the right direction! I will upload pictures so that everyone can see what there is and help a clueless person out!!

Here is the dual grinder. Does anyone know anything about it? Sorry for all the dirt and cobwebs, etc. It's been sitting for a while. It's been too hard to go in there until recently.
20150628_172456.jpg 20150628_172502.jpg 20150628_172507.jpg 20150628_172511.jpg 20150628_172519.jpg

Back