Help With Grandpa & Dad's Old Machines!

Thank you everyone for all your help! I know the equipment works. My Grandparents wanted all their belongings sold so that there was no fighting and my Dad purchased the shop and the equipment. Then my Dad was diagnosed with a rare disease and was unable to use it for more than a couple of years. It has sat since then. Everything is located in Monmouth, Illinois. My Grandpa was a well known blacksmith and welder in the area. I've looked on Ebay and other places and the prices are so varied. My Mom doesn't want to take advantage of anyone and just wants a fair price and for the items to go to someone who will use them. That's what Grandpa and Dad would have wanted too. I will gladly post some pictures when I am able to!

This organization has a large, deep resource of experienced, honest, sympathetic
Buyers, sellers, and "casual" group; perhaps some local friends could reach out
for a short holiday ,travel allowances?We ,perhaps,should help. I can only talk
My mind and body are not very functional,or I would enjoy joining.....BLJHB

Maria
Price vary greatly by region. But here in Texas...

Grinder $200 - $250
Band Saw $200-$300
Lathe $700-$900

Hard to say on the welder.
The technology changes rapidly, so older equipment is very cheap.

Maria,

I just wanted to say that if I was closer, I'd make offers right in the ballpark of what AR1911 stated above.
That old-time stuff is made much heavier and stronger than what's sold today.

-brino

"That old-time stuff is made much heavier and stronger than what's sold today."

In general I'd agree with that. But here's some anecdotal data: Last year I had both a 12x35 logan and a 12x37 Grizzly in my shop, 4 feet apart. The bed casting on the Grizzly was noticeably heavier than the Logan, as was the headstock. I'd call it 50% more massive.
Now, the Logan is probably better iron, etc. But the Grizzly is a fine lathe. I still have the Grizzly, but the Logan 12" is gone.
I do however have 2 other Logans, and will likely sell the Grizzly soon. Because 'Murica.

Thank you so much!! Apparently, a cousin of mine that was interested in buying some of the other things has backed out at the last minute. Is it ok if I put a couple of other items up to get an idea on what they are worth?

Back