Help with finding a good arbor

Yeah ....................one of these days I have to let go , and that day is getting closer now . What do I do with 40 chucks when the BP and lathe aren't even wired in yet ? :dejected:

I thought about a straight shank and using a collet, but I think I’d like to go with an R8 instead so I can eliminate any tolerance related runout issues, if that’s even a thing.

Lots of great info and ideas- I am clearly in the right place!

Straight shanks are great , and even better if you have a Z limited mini mill . :encourage:

I thought about a straight shank and using a collet, but I think I’d like to go with an R8 instead so I can eliminate any tolerance related runout issues, if that’s even a thing.
As long as you get a good arbor & have decent collets, you shouldn't encounter runout issues with straight shank vs R8. If you go straight shank it's a lot cheaper. Most people go with 1/2" straight shank cause it's the most common size collet used, like switching from an edge finder, to drill chuck, to tap follower. Many people even cut the straight shank shorter to make it even easier/quicker to mount/unmount.

Me I prefer to stick with R8 now. I had some of my drill chucks on 1/2" straight abors too. Of course I normally have one hand on the drill chuck/tool while tapping the drawbar to release the collet. But one time, and that's all it took, the chuck slipped out of my hand & put a dent in my part while I was stretching the other arm for the drawbar. Glad it wasn't something more permanent like my vise or table.

Ever since then, anything that's got some decent weight to it that had straight shanks I switched over to R8. The only tools I have now with straight shanks is my baby 1/8" Albrecht w/senstive arbor, a 3/8" Jacobs keyless, & my smaller Tapmatic 30 (that one has a 5/8" straight arbor). I don't care about having to spend more time switching tools, I'm just a hobbyist. But as Dave said, if Z capacity is an issue then it's worth it.

I had a spare 14N with a 1/2" straight arbor, that thing always looked so funny to me like it needed a 5/8" straight arbor. I did tend use it more often then my other 14N w/ R8 but I don't miss it. I ended up putting that 14N on a benchtop drill press.

Yeah ....................one of these days I have to let go , and that day is getting closer now . What do I do with 40 chucks when the BP and lathe aren't even wired in yet ? :dejected:
Set up a bunch of drill presses in the backyard & have a drilling party! See who can drill the most holes while chugging a beer. :D

alzmetall5.jpg

Hey not that kind of "drilling holes"! ;) But women can play too!

4080056.jpeg.jpg

Back