Help with finding a good arbor

jpfrog

Registered
Registered
I have a practically new (it appears to have never had an arbor installed before it became mine) Albrecht 1/32-1/2" drill chuck that I picked up for my milling machine to replace my Jacobs 14N super chuck, which was originally intended to be used as a backup to the same chuck I have for my lathe. The Jacobs runs pretty good on the mill, but I figured the Albrecht would be a bit nicer and let me swap drills faster and without the use of a key.

Anyway- I have a Shars R8 to JT3 arbor for the Jacobs, and like I said, it runs pretty good. So I decided to pick up an R8 to JT33 for the Albrecht. The first one I received was WAY out of spec, with several thousandths of runout being read on my indicator and the visible wobble was almost comical. I sent that back, and the replacement I received is better but still not good- still visible wobble and the indicator reads about 3.5-4 thousandths of runout. These arbors are long- they don't get seated all the way up into my mill's spindle. I made a bushing to add to the draw bar to give it a little bit more height to work with in pulling the arbor in tight, but it won't go- there's about 1/8" of the arbor hanging out of the bottom of the spindle, and that section runs about 1.5 thousandths out of true, so the problem extends down into the taper section a bit more.

Anyone have a recommendation on an arbor they love that won't cost a ton? I got a great deal on the Albrecht, but it's useless if I can't find an arbor for it that lets it run more true than my Jacobs 14N. The Shars are very affordable, until they don't work...so I'm sending this one back again for a refund. I'd like to stay under $100, or even under $50, but in reality I'll probably pay whatever to get this Albrecht up and running to its true potential.

Thanks in advance!

Jacobs arbors are usually pretty good . You just need the arbor , correct ?

Correct, I only need an arbor. The Albrecht takes a JT33 and the mill takes an R8.

Will look to see what's in the arsenal downstairs tomorrow morning , off to work in 10 minutes . I'm positive I have a few ......................dozen . :encourage:

That's a huge help, thank you! Would love to help you "recycle" if you have one laying around, and happy to pay the going rate for a good used one vs getting a new one from an online supplier. Thanks again!

Would love to help you "recycle" if you have one laying around
LMAO , I have a lot to be recycled , never looked at it that way . :) But truthfully , I'm loaded up with chucks and can't possibly use them all .

Dave's Recyclables ...............................I like the flow of that ! :encourage: Off to work .

You may find it easier to get a good straight-shank arbor and use it in a collet.

I've got a Llambrich R8 arbor on my 1/2" Albrecht. Mine is JT6 but I got the Llambrich for $41 new on Amazon, normally they're like $75, made in Spain. I don't see a R8 JT33 Llambrich on Amazon right now but most of MSC's brand Accupro drill chucks & arbors are made by Llambrich. You can tell which ones as they are marked made in Spain. The Accupro R8 JT33 Spain is currently $48 from MSC. Check ebay also, sometimes they pop up there too.
20210427_171729.jpg

I purchased a Lyndex R8 JT33 arbor not that long ago for my newest Tapmatic. I got it new on Amazon for $33, mine was labeled made in Taiwan (Nikken Japan is their parent company, some of their stuff is still made in Japan or USA). It's currently $58 on Amz which is still within your budget but if you're not in a hurry you can add it to cart & see if the price fluctuates (or set up an alert from 3camels).
20220827_154851.jpg

I used to buy HHIP/ABS Import's Pro Series R8 arbors. They were actually pretty good & very inexpensive, virtually no runout & nickel plated too. But it seems they changed em a bit. I tried 2 of them that now have HHIP marked on them & I didn't like em. The 4 older ones that I have aren't marked HHIP. Not sure if it was just those 2 newer ones that I got but I haven't tried any more of them.
20220827_155144.jpg

Bison Poland makes decent arbors but I've never tried any of their R8 arbors, only their MT arbors. They pop up on ebay from time to time. Sometimes you can still find Jacobs England arbors on ebay but most of the time they don't go for cheap cause more people are familiar with the Jacobs name. Their current arbors are made in China & I have a few that are decent (ones that aren't expensive & cause I used to be able to get em same day) but some of them cost way too much for being made in China. Like their R8, no way I would pay higher prices for their China made arbors even if they're decent.

Gawd darn you Will ! You're cutting into my profits ! :cussing:LOL , you know I'm just pullin your leg . :laughing:

Haha, well, I don't see any great deals on R8 JT33 arbors right now anyway. Looks like those HHIP Pro Series arbor aren't available anymore. On ebay I only found 2 R8 JT33, one is a Jacobs China for $90 & the other one looks like an older style Jacobs for $50 but can't tell for sure if it's China or not. I still wouldn't buy it regardless.

Looks like jpfrog is holding out to hear from you anyway. ;)

Back