Help with Baldor grinder

hman

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just bought a used Baldor model 500 grinder and factory base thru Graigslist [minor gloat - got it for $225]. It runs nicely and has a good diamond wheel on one end. Just need to buy a wheel for the other.

It's also missing the water catch pans. But herein lies the problem. For some odd reason, the shield/table assemblies are at a 15 degree angle, instead of being level ... so a catch pan would just dribble out the front.

kHPIM3273.jpg

As an aside, note that the water cup pin on the far side shield has been bent over. Makes me think the 15* rotation is some previous owner's custom job.

I've removed a shield, and it looks like it's the motor housing that's rotated.

kHPIM3274.jpg

Looking into the base, it appears the motor can be rotated slightly on its mount, but nowhere near 15 degrees.

kHPIM3275.jpg

As far as I can tell, I have three options:

(1) Make a 15 degree wedge and place it between the grinder and the base.
(2) Leave the motor alone and drill some new holes in the shields, offset by 15*.
(3) Unscrew the end bells from the motor and see if I can rotate the guts.

I'm looking for advice as to the best way to proceed. I'm just a bit hesitant to jump into #3, as it's beyond my level of experience, and I don't want to do something to ruin such a fine motor. But if y'all say it's not too terrible, I'll try it.

Many thanks!

kHPIM3273.jpg kHPIM3274.jpg kHPIM3275.jpg

It looks like it was assembled that way from the factory. The wire hole is centered in the opening. Maybe there was a reason, dunno. :dunno:

You could just re-drill the guard mount holes 15 degrees from where they are, that would solve the problem.

What if you switch the ends/table assemblies around? You know, put the right side end on the left side, and the left on the right...Good Luck.

It is a factory defect.:panic: Send it to me for proper disposal :roflmao:

Like said try swaping ends.

What if you switch the ends/table assemblies around? You know, put the right side end on the left side, and the left on the right...Good Luck.

I think you nailed it. :man: I had to draw that up in AutoCad to get my head around it but I think that'll work.

Interesting idea, but no joy :(

First photo, end shield, with chunk of wood across table mounts, illustrating that existing holes are horizontal to each other ...

kkHPIM3274a.jpg

Second photo, with long screws in shield mount holes in end of motor, illustrating that holes are at located 15* from horizontal.

kkHPIM3275a.jpg

If the sets of holes had EACH been at 7 1/2*, swapping ends would definitely have worked!

kkHPIM3274a.jpg kkHPIM3275a.jpg

OK, then I stand by my original post, looks like the only option is to re-drill the holes. Maybe the trays are supposed to dribble water?:thinking:

is it possible that the motor has been split open then reassembled wrong?.. perhaps there are extra holes in the frame that would allow for proper orientation

rich

I'm just thinking that the original water cups were adjustable and they rotate to be level when they are filled. A wing nut and a friction washer would be all it took to hold them once they were adjusted. Just a thought because It doesn't seem like it would work any other way without doing some serious mods to the housings and motor end plates. and like you said it is too nice of a motor to go junking it up too much

Bob

Like said, then it must be the motor end caps are on incorrectely. Take the four long bolts out and peek inside. Or the main motor housing has four other bolt holes for the base, kinda doubt it though.

Back