Help On the Threading Chart on a PM1130 Lathe

Ok, that helps. A little.

Take the following with a grain of salt, because I still can't see your charts.

I'm not sure what "H" is. Perhaps a spacer, or maybe "not used", or maybe a standard, non changeable gear.

It looks like z4/z3 is a double, two gears on a shaft. And z1/z2 is the same.

Anyway, it looks like for 16tpi, you need a 60 tooth on shaft z1, a 40 tooth on z3, a 30 tooth on z4 and another 60 tooth on L.

The top 60 tooth is the drive gear. It meshes with the 40 tooth on z3. The 30t sharing the shaft with the 40t (z4), drives the bottom 60t.

Your quick change lever should be in position A.

Thanks, I 'll try this again. I couldn't find "Gear Changes for Dummies " book to buy.

To get a good pic with enough resolution, snap a pic of the actual chart, off of the lathe, with your phone.

Host it with postimage.org sor similar.

Like this:

Looks like 80, 40, 30, 60 to me.

Threading charts on these work pretty much the same, so hopefully that helps. "H" is a spacer, your machine likely had some in the tool box that came with it.

It was 80,40,30, and 60. I got it going. I didn't get any spacers and needed one. So, for now I'm using one of the small gears for a spacer. I'll make a couple when I get some more metal. Now I can see how the chart works. Is it normal for gear changes to make the lathe louder? I expected to be a little louder. Thanks for all the help everyone.

The threading gear setup could make it louder. It depends on how you set them up, it's pretty quiet if you get the backlash just right and oil them a bit.

It was 80,40,30, and 60. I got it going. I didn't get any spacers and needed one. So, for now I'm using one of the small gears for a spacer. I'll make a couple when I get some more metal. Now I can see how the chart works. Is it normal for gear changes to make the lathe louder? I expected to be a little louder. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Some gear arrangements will be a little louder, some a little quieter. On a new lathe, they may get quieter with a little use.

I like to put a small torn strip of printer paper between the gears, then push them into mesh nice and snug before I tighten the nut.
Then hand rotate the chuck to roll the paper out from between the gears.

My lathe has 40 gear settings, and is very quiet in all but one. A-1 which is for 4tpi, always whines a little.

H stands for 'spacer'. The numbers given coincide with the ones on my PM1030 for 8-16-32 pitch.

When you assemble the gear string, insert a piece of typing paper (strip) between the gears and then mesh and tighten them. Some gears may be slightly out of round/off center and still grind a bit. Just use thicker paper.

Back