Help me pick a good cordless drill

Another vote for Milwaukee. I picked up my first Milwaukee M18 1/2" drill at a garage sale this year and was blown away by it. This thing will twist your wrist and the chuck doesn't slip like all other cordless drills I've had. Hands down it's the best drill I've ever had cordless or corded. And the XC (extended charge) batteries are the way to go. I've used my drill all day and still had more left in the battery. Another feature of the M18 battery is the charge indicator. With the indicator I can see what my charge is before leaving to go use my tools where there is no charger. I see the batteries on Craigslist all the time.

I was so impressed by the drill I bought a 3/8" M18 impact from http://www.tylertool.com and it takes the lug nuts off my SUV. Now I'm looking at a 1/2" high torque impact for heavier jobs. I also have a V18 sawzall and the tool is pretty good, but the V18 battery life isn't as good as the M18's are. But I got the tool and battery for very cheap so for minimal cost I have a portable sawzall.

Another Milwaukee tool I have is a corded band saw I picked up at a garage sale for $20. I put $30 worth of repairs in it and couldn't be happier. It's a fantastic saw I use it all the time.

I didn't realize you can repair the batteries. I learned something new today :)

For better or worse I went with the Milwaukee 2604-22CT at Zoro with the 25% off and free ship $187.

I am sure I would be impressed by all of the aforementioned drills as they look to be beasts compared to my 3/8" Craftsman.

But a 1/2" chuck with up to 725in/lb torque? Dang, I didn't know that they had gotten that powerful.

Thanks!

+1 on Rigid and their guarantee.
I have had zero problems with my Rigid battery tools.

Randy

I have seen six Milwaukee lithium kits go to sh.. between two guys. That count is original purchased kits, not the replacement stuff. All of them new or a couple months old at the most. They replace them with more of the same. Mostly batteries and chargers. They will keep replacing them for you, but what's the point. One of those guys worked with me and used my tools and has switched to my brand. The other just swore off the Milwaukee today, never again. The best feeling cordless drills on the market are DeWalt. They feel like a nice tool.I have never used another brand of cordless drill that didn't feel cheap in use in comparison. I prefer NiCad as the lithiums I have run did not care for cold weather. I use the heck out of these tools day in day out and can not afford a tool that won't work when it's cold. I have to, why should you get to stay in the truck? After it gets so cold nothing works right, but if I can stand the weather, my Black and yellow tools are able to stand right there with me. If you get to use them indoors or only in warm weather, I like lithium batteries, who wouldn't enjoy the lighter tool? Someone asked about Bosch cordless. I have a cordless rotozip (bosch batteries) and deeply regret that purchase after using it. The batteries were not up to the standard set by my Dewalt tools at all. I have used a lot of brands of corded tools that I liked, but when it comes to cordless anything or miter saws, DeWalt cannot be beat. I don't sell their tools and you can't have mine:)) This is just my experience of over twenty years of heavy use of cordless tools. The other years that didn't see heavy use saw those tools and batteries waiting patiently to be abused some more. A tool that warrants consideration right up there with a cordless drill, is an impact driver. It is a driver and does not drill, but it will drive three inch screws clean through a 2x4, fast, all day long. They are also great for properly setting to depth things like sheetrock screws and pole barn screws. It's easy not to over tighten. Good luck Edit sorry, I didn't meanto bash your choice, I didn't catch that you already made your choice. Sincerely best of luck to you! Keep your receipt, as they seem to be great about sending replacements should you have a problem.

Another brand to look at is Hitachi. I have a home repair business and use one of the Hitachi drills with the metal chuck.
It has taken countless falls from roofs and ladders and keeps running. Battery life seems to be on par with Dewalt and
others.

+1 on Makita 18v LiIon drills. I've owned one for several years, been using the heck out of it (though NOT to the extent a pro like Brooks would use it). Battery charger is very fast, so with 2 batteries you never run out of power. And as for power, it's hold-on-tight strong. (That said, most modern LiIon drills will have lots of power and good charge times.)

HD sells the set - LXFD01CW - drill/driver, 2 batteries, charger, case. Used to be $200. I think I've seen it for around $180 in their stores recently.

PS - Right now, this set is $170 (free shipping) from HD on line:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...-Cordless-Compact-Drill-Kit-XFD01CW/205169875

Also available from Amazon for $186:
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXFD01...18331694&sr=1-2&keywords=makita+18v+drill+kit

These Makitas are the lower level line (white/black tool). The green/black tools are a more durable line. Also, the white/black tools come with 2.0AH batteries. The green/black tools come with 3.0AH batteries.

To the OP:

I've had a Makita, 6 or 7 tool combo pack (green/black tools), for many years and highly recommend the tools. The only tool that has disappointed me is the angle grinder which trips it's overcurrent protection if you lean on it a little. You have to take it too easy with that tool, for my taste. Back to your question: Home Depot has Model # XPH012 Driver/Drill w/battery, charger and a case for $99 right now. Two replacement batteries recently cost me $150. The current HD deal is like paying a discounted price for the accessories and getting the tool for free. I had to exercise considerable self control to pass that deal up (I just don't need it, damn it!).
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Makita/N...gclid=CMmRofTpwcICFRFhfgodF3EANQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

PS: You didn't mention an impact driver, however, if you drive fasteners and haven't used one, you don't know what you're missing.

I've got the Makita set & love it. I use the impact driver on a daily basis in my transmission shop. I can disassemble the whole transmission in most cases with it. For the flange headed bell housing bolts ,I still use my 3/8 air impact only because I refuse to abuse my tools
The drill is impressive too, - high & low speed, one handed drill chuck tighten/ loosen, feels balanced while holding, the batteries hold a good charge.
Plus one on the Makita set.

image.jpg

I have DeWalt XRP. Not saying it is the best... or worst... or anything in between. I am using the Ni-Cad technology with the original batteries for 5+ years.

2-packs of 18 volt replacement batteries are around $100 on sale in eastern Ontario, Canada (Home Depot & likely others).
If you have a DeWalt repair center (also does Stanley, Black & Decker & Porter Cable) I have found the refurbished battery packs for around $30 each.

Corrections: Visited the repair center today. Refurb batteries are $35 each. New batteries are $70 for a 2-pack. Way better than HD sales.

Last edited:
I have a Milwaukee, and it's just super replacement batteries are kind of pricey but I went and bought a festool and I will never go back

Back