Help In Choosing A Grooving Tool

Take a 3/8" single end endmill and grind some top relief on it and drill amd ream a hole at the correct angle in a piece of steel that will fit your holder and with the end mill "on end" it will cut close enough to the right radius. You can use set screws to hold the end mill in place or silver solder it;

That is not a precision feature. Rough it in with your regular tooling, making steps. Then use a round file, followed buy some abrasive paper on some rounded wood. Compare against a tedious gauge (even just a scrap of 3/8" bar).

I misunderstood. I took this to mean the groove would be 3/16" wide.
If you look at the print it says R4.7 which i understand to mean radius, so that would be 3/16" or a diameter of 3/8".
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I'm no expert on the Canadian language, but I think the drawing title is misspelled. Shouldn't it be "positionning hammmer?"

Tom

You are going to need a grinder to grind tools ,so I would buy one now. It might cost more to buy the insert tool than the grinder. And that size radius is not often used in a home shop.
Jimsehr

Rough it with the point of your insert tool, color it with a sharpie maker, then finish with a chainsaw file of your diameter choice. When the colors gone, stop.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

I'm no expert on the Canadian language, but I think the drawing title is misspelled. Shouldn't it be "positionning hammmer?"

Tom
Canadian English is often patois much like US English, it should be spelled Pistoning (-:

Tom

Deleted insensitive remark.

Last edited:
Back