Help In Choosing A Grooving Tool

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I plan on making this machinist hammer. I need to get a tool that can cut the radius shown. 4.7mm or 3/16". I do not have a grinder yet so I can't make my own tool. I do have some insert holders though. Or if someone could suggest another way to make this other that a radius/groove. Thanks.Capture.PNG

Manchester makes excellent profile and grooving tools, if you have to do it often and quickly go here https://www.widia.com/content/dam/k...talogs/WidiaManchester_masterCat_2008_sec.pdf

If you are doing it for yourself then ignore the radii completely, no one is going to measure it and then send it back because it is Non Compliant.

I have worked in machine shops for the last 30 years, what is a Positioning Hammer ?

I have worked in machine shops for the last 30 years, what is a Positioning Hammer ?

Sigh ...just goes to show you what those pro machinists know. A positioning hammer is used to whack the side of the machinist's knee to make him move over to the right angle for turning the saddle hand wheel smoothly. A different position is used to turn the cross feed wheel but you use the other knee for that. Come on, Wreck - even a hobby machinist knows that!

You might consider a HSS P-5 parting blade. It is 3/16" wide and the corners can be shaped with diamond stones. That would give you the shape you need to make a groove.

You might consider a HSS P-5 parting blade. It is 3/16" wide and the corners can be shaped with diamond stones. That would give you the shape you need to make a groove.
The radius is .187" but I would need a .375" diameter blade, correct?

Back