Help Identifying This Machinist Tool!!

With the .0001 resolution it could be device to measure irregularities in surfaces. It looks to me to be basically a sensitive depth gage. I look forward to finding this one out.

+1 on specific application made tool, my guess for a job shop that ran a lot of the same pieces and needed this to make sure that this critical dimension was correct or within tolerance.

+1 on shop tool. I see this kinda stuff all the time in a factory. What it was once used for is anyone's guess -- and there's been some good guesses around here -- and it really doesn't matter. It could be anything from firing pin protrusion to post-cure laminate stackup. (high five on 'drum tuner'.) They took an ordinary dial indicator and put it on a special metal base and not all THAT special at that. To make the guys in the shop, or maybe someone's boss, think it was crucial, they made a really spiff plastic box. Nothing to it.

If you need a spare indicator, unscrew it and you got one. Done and done. Better yet, remove the setscrew and just keep it stored that way, metal base and all. Then, when needed, you can say, "THIS looks like a job for my orange DIAL INDICATOR!" and make a big show of taking it out of its pretty jewel box custom cut for just such an occasion. If someone's watching, you can make the unpacking look "precise" like you're defusing a bomb or something.

Who says machining can't have some showmanship? As long as a machine's not running, anyway....

Wrat

Upon closer inspection of the box, wow, the did a really nice job constructing it, they were definitely proud of that tool

What you have, I believe, is called a ring spherometer. It is used in mirror or lens making, and is designed to measure the "sagitta". Sagitta is the measure of lens radius,or depth of curvature in the lens.

[QUOTE="wrat, post: 298621, member: 34285 Then, when needed, you can say, "THIS looks like a job for my orange DIAL INDICATOR!" and make a big show of taking it out of its pretty jewel box custom cut for just such an occasion. If someone's watching, you can make the unpacking look "precise" like you're defusing a bomb or something.

Who says machining can't have some showmanship? As long as a machine's not running, anyway....

Wrat[/QUOTE]

BWAAAAhahahahahah, Defusing bombs is what I make folks think all my magic things do!!!! Well done!!!

Back