Help Identifying This Machinist Tool!!

Nevermore11

Registered
Registered
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg [GALLERY=]I recently got this dial indicator in a box lot at an auction

Can't find any info on it, I've sold quite s few Browne and sharpe indicators but never one that was setup like this. Anyone know what it is used for and better yet what the heck would you call it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It looks like the gauge used to measure the sag of a spherical surface. Especially handy when making lens. You would probably not use it on a finished lens but more likely on a fresh cut (unpolished) blank. It might also measure highs or lows on a flat.

Hey Nevermore,

I've never seen one 'til now.
It's 8:21am on aSaturday and I've already learned something new.

Thanks for sharing, oh and I really appreciate the beautiful clear phtots, it's like I'm holding it myself!
-brino

It looks like a kind of spherical radial dial gauge. And it looks shop made for a specific application. Other than the dial indicator, it does not look factory made…Dave.

Notice the "machinist fit", the bakelite cracked because it couldn't shrink at the same rate of the metal. Probably a tight slip fit.

4 photo's are not showing for me...

Back