Help Identify This Drilling/Milling Machine

kingplinker

Registered
Registered
Hello, i am new here & posted in the into section. I have my first Milling machine (it was given to me) and am wanting to find a book/manual on it. It does not seem to have any markings on it, and the plate is faded/can't read really. Someone from the little machine shop told me it may probably a Rong Fu RF-30. What do you guys think?

miull_01.jpgmiull_02.jpgmiull_03.jpgmiull_04.jpg

miull_01.jpg miull_02.jpg miull_03.jpg miull_04.jpg

It looks like an RF-30. If you search for RF-30 mill drill on google images you'll probably find something identical down to the color.

RF30 or 31 for sure - well, maybe not a real Rong Fu - there are dozens of copies of the Rong Fu (that means cheaper) This mill has the colors that appears to be Encos version of this mill. Go to Encos web site and check it out. The nicer versions of it have power downfeed - a real plus.
This one has almost certainly had the motor changed out, look to be a nice one too.

The main complaint with this type mill is the round column - and it can be a bit of a pain, but they can generally be had cheap and they are a robust machine when all axes are locked down and with a little ingenuity can turn out some nice work

If you try to change the motor's voltage, BE WARE of totally BOGUS wiring diagram in the machine. I had a Wholesale Tool that was just plain completely wrong. We had to wire in every possible configuration to get the blasted motor to run on 220. And,it was a professional electrician doing it. Take careful notice of how your motor is hooked up before you try changing it. You may just have to put it back. Mine was Taiwan made,too.

Thnks for all your help/advioce folks! Much appreciated. Well, I wasn't going to change the motor - I am doing some "funky" wiring though. But since I am no electrician I am researching before I even plug this thing in. It's a Single phase 220 motor. Here is my plan of attack though -run a jumper over tomy 220 welder outlet...what do you think?

7.jpg13.jpg

7.jpg 13.jpg

It would "WORK" to just hook it up that way. It will run and do everything you need until the motor develops a problem or the cord gets pinched. With the 50 AMP (Probably at least that big) breaker for the welder the motor would literally sit there frying itself until it or your cord burn up possibly catching other things on fire as well. I don't know your layout, but wouldn't it be almost as close to go to your breaker box and then have the right protection for that mill? If that doesn't work then at least come from the welder recpt to a small breaker box or an old fusible disconnect. I am an electrician and I have seen too many of these things go bad to not say something to you.

Thanks. I am having an electrician come take a look before I go any further. Thanks man!

I see that at the column back, there is a disconnect box. Check the box to verify if it also do have fuses. If so, they should be match to the motor capacity, and you will not depend on the panel breaker for the protection of your equipment.
Happy milling!

Back