HELP! G0602 Problem

Its actually in the picture there, its right on top of the cross slide right below the counterbored hole.

I've seen split nuts, but I haven't seen one exactly like that. Are you sure it's broke? I'm looking at the pic trying to figure out how it works. Does the set screw push the piece down to kind of bind the threads and tighten the motion? If you had the nut fastened in place and the piece inserted with the set screw holding it, could you start the screw and then tighten the set screw after you had the cross feed screw through the nut? If it wasn't in two separate pieces I don't see how it could work.

Chuck

If I recall right from mine the pointed set screw spreads the two halves of the split nut to take up slack on the screw. it was eiter over tight or or faulty, or shock loaded.

I've seen split nuts, but I haven't seen one exactly like that. Are you sure it's broke? I'm looking at the pic trying to figure out how it works. Does the set screw push the piece down to kind of bind the threads and tighten the motion? If you had the nut fastened in place and the piece inserted with the set screw holding it, could you start the screw and then tighten the set screw after you had the cross feed screw through the nut? If it wasn't in two separate pieces I don't see how it could work.

Chuck

Never considered that. It makes sense that it would work that way. Not the best design, but it should work. I think I would just make a regular solid nut for it and call it a day.

Chuck

Yeah it's definitely broken, that would actually be a side view of how it goes in, the smaller piece is what was broken, it almost looks like the set screw is supposed to wedge in the gap and like you said allow it to tighten up on the threads of the screw. The socket head cap screw is actually what they describe in the the manual as the adjustment screw and the set screw isnt even mentioned. Like I said the manual is horrible lol. Here is an exploded view..... I ordered a new one but still dont know how its supposed to be adjusted correctly

g0602_pl_12_1000.png

well you don't want it so tight than it feels in a bind. it should have a few thous of lash but not more than 5

Yeah it's definitely broken, that would actually be a side view of how it goes in, the smaller piece is what was broken, it almost looks like the set screw is supposed to wedge in the gap and like you said allow it to tighten up on the threads of the screw. The socket head cap screw is actually what they describe in the the manual as the adjustment screw and the set screw isnt even mentioned. Like I said the manual is horrible lol. Here is an exploded view..... I ordered a new one but still dont know how its supposed to be adjusted correctly

Last edited:
sorry that gotposted in the wrong topic(deleted)

008.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG

Last edited:

The Grizzly manual for the G0602 lathe has the adjustment procedure on page 60.

Back