HELP! G0602 Problem

sepulling

Registered
Registered
I'm really hoping someone can help me here because I'm completely lost. I was trying to turn some 3" O.D. cold rolled tonight and noticed my lathe wouldnt even take a .010 pass it just chattered really really bad. I did all the common sense stuff like double check tool height etc etc, then noticed I could move my cross slide in and out I'd say probably .010-.015" by hand. I'm assuming this is where the chatter problems are coming from. So I went over it all and adjusted the gibs and backlash and everything, still no difference. Took the compound off and noticed that I couldn't move the cross slide anymore. So I put the compound back on and tightened it and it was back. Then I just loosened the compound and the movement was gone again. Its something happenning when the compound is tightened but I can't figure it out. Sorry for writing a book and thank you all in advance for any input.

To be clear, I do not own one. But I wonder, listening to your story, if a casting is cracked or something. I can't image why tightening or loosening the compound would affect the crosslide. I looked at a few pics online, and not obvious to me.
Is there a part that could have come loose underneath that fastens the compound?

This isn't the first thing I would suspect, but your issue sounds rare.

Is the crosslide nut on tight?

I am sure someone with your machine would know more about how it is built.

Bernie

My first thought would be a loose fastener on your cross slide nut. The compound thing is kind of perplexing though. You already checked the gib. I don't know how the backlash is adjusted on cross slide screw on that machine. I would guess either at the dial on the front or with lock nuts at the rear. I would check the nut and the lash adjustment and then try to factor the compound in to the equation.
Chuck

I was (unfortunately) thinking something is cracked too Bernie. I had the compound off and cleaned it all and didnt see anything. I'll take a look again tomorrow at the cross slide nut and see what I can find. It could've been like this for for a while since it doesnt do it in aluminum (atleast noticably) and I dont turn all that much steel. Thanks guys for your quick and helpful responses!

Have you tried different speeds and/or rates? If you use the same parameters for Aluminum and Steel, chances are one or the other will behave like a demon wanting out of hell.

No I definitely don't use the same speeds/feeds for steel as i do for aluminum..... demon wanting out of hell now thats a new one :rofl:

I reread your original post. You don't state how old this machine is. What size is it? If you have adjusted the gib and the lash and the nut is tight, then I would suspect wear in the nut or screw, or both. Is it possible that this machine has a very light cross slide that is somewhat flexed when you tighten the compound? Maybe enough to bind the screw and nut and cancel out some of the back lash. I doubt that .015 lash is enough to create the chatter you experienced. I'm thinking its more of a tool geometry problem and speed problem.

My first thought would be a loose fastener on your cross slide nut. The compound thing is kind of perplexing though. You already checked the gib. I don't know how the backlash is adjusted on cross slide screw on that machine. I would guess either at the dial on the front or with lock nuts at the rear. I would check the nut and the lash adjustment and then try to factor the compound in to the equation.
Chuck

Wow Chuck-

I didn't know there was a backlash adjustment in that machine. If so, it really sounds like that for sure!

Bernie

Its a grizzly 10x22 bench top lathe, it has the backlash adjustment on the handle, but theres also adjustment on the cross slide nut itself. Problem is I have to remove the compound the adjust the cross slide nut. I decided to take it apart and inspect the screw and nut today, think I found at least part of the problem, this is the screw and the cheaply cast nut that broke. Not exactly sure how this setup is supposed to work maybe someone can educate me because the grizzly manual is horrrible. The socket head cap screw goes down through the top of the cross slide into the nut, then theres a pointed set screw that goes in the part thats broke.

IMAG0227.jpg

Its a grizzly 10x22 bench top lathe, it has the backlash adjustment on the handle, but theres also adjustment on the cross slide nut itself. Problem is I have to remove the compound the adjust the cross slide nut. I decided to take it apart and inspect the screw and nut today, think I found at least part of the problem, this is the screw and the cheaply cast nut that broke. Not exactly sure how this setup is supposed to work maybe someone can educate me because the grizzly manual is horrrible. The socket head cap screw goes down through the top of the cross slide into the nut, then theres a pointed set screw that goes in the part thats broke.

Where was your access to the pointed set screw when everything was assembled? My G4003G setup looks similar to yours but the setscrew access is from the side facing the headstock.

Back