[Newbie] Help Buying A New Bench Grinder

Lowes has that sme grinder $30.00 cheaper and you can look at it and touch it before you buy. http://www.lowes.com/pd_496567-52010-23-197_0__?productId=50150072&Ntt=

As I said earlier, I'm not in a big rush for the grinder, it was mostly intended for a means to get out in the shop and do SOMETHING until I'm better poised in the future, so I just sorta was letting it ride for a bit, letting the "right one" come along, and viola!
On Saturday, we had great weather here, so to get out of the house, the wife and I loaded up and was wondering through Lowes... They had the above grinder on sale for $116.
Knowing the wife, I knew the best way to get the "ok" was to NOT be interested... It worked. Brought it home, set it up, fired it up, and man, SUPER quiet and almost no vibration. I didn't time the spin down, but it would be measured in minuets for sure. The only 2 downsides are; the advertised wheel dressing tool is nothing to write home about, and the left side tool rest has an angled groove in it, almost like a jig or something (not sure what thats about?). I'll say that overall it is a great grinder. Smooth at all speeds.
I say, if you are in the need or a good, economical grinder, do not hesitate to buy this one.

i used a harbor freight 8inch grinder for quite awhile , for the money spent on it i have zero complaints , yes the guards and tables are crap and nearly unusable .
but a person cant expect a whole lot for $32

but being a bargian hunter ( read cheapskate ) i used the elcheapo grinder until i found one i wanted on craigslist ... a very nice industrial 12 inch 3 phase grinder i picked up for nearly nothing .
so dont be afraid to wait and maybe find a much better grinder for less money unless you realy need one now

New grinders/wheels, just truing them will help, but balancing them is what is needed, many utube on how to.
Google balance grinders.
Used/older new bearings and BALANCE

My grinders a cheap early Taiwan model I garbage picked it works fine for me but noisy. I just rough on the grinder and finish on a belt sander. I see good used grinders for 20$ all the time. Much better then mine anyway. It wi be a personal choice but I hate grinding dust so I try not to use it that much any way.

Back