[Newbie] Help Buying A New Bench Grinder

I know there have been posts about the pro's and con's of belt grinders but I'll give you my experience.

I have 2 bench grinders (both industrial) and an industrial belt grinder. I rarely use the bench grinders anymore. Even with the bump on the belt, the belt grinder manages heat better, is more flexible and is safer. I also use it for flattening surfaces on the plenum to spare my end mills or to save installing the horizontal milling head. It is better for sharpening mower blades and axes and the belt change to courser or finer belts is literally done in the flip of a lever. You will pay more for the belt grinder and it takes up a bit more room but I think it is a better all-round machine. Having used bench grinders for years, I have also noticed a sharp decline in the availability of decent grinding wheels, while good quality grinding belts are still readily available.

Paul.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I'm still shopping around. My wife is up in VA visiting her parents for the weekend. Found this. https://roanoke.craigslist.org/tls/4960252627.html Haven't put a lot of effort into it yet, but I recall the older Jets were higher quality right? I've sent the folks a text asking for more info. Right now I can tell it is a grinder o_O

I can highly recommend the Metabo bench grinder. I have the 8" and it runs so smooth I can hardly tell that it's running. The 8" is running about $260 on amazon.com (with free shipping), 7" $190, and the 6" is $140.

Metabo grinders on Amazon.com

-Ron

I can highly recommend the Metabo bench grinder. I have the 8" and it runs so smooth I can hardly tell that it's running. The 8" is running about $260 on amazon.com (with free shipping), 7" $190, and the 6" is $140.

Metabo grinders on Amazon.com

-Ron
I seriously contemplated that one until I saw that the spindle size was possibly metric, and definitely an odd size making changing wheels a bit more difficult. I know I could turn bushings as needed, but my theory was for that $, I shouldn't have to. Granted, it does have really good reviews.
I THOUGHT I was going to be onto something with that big JET in my last post, but I still have yet to make contact with the owner, and my wife is leaving first thing in the morning.
I went to an auction today to see if they had anything. You can guess how that turned out.... No grinder, but I did spend some of the "lathe fund" and not on a lathe! :grin:

I have been using the same 6" Sears FLAT FRONT grinder since I bought it in 1963. The flat front motor sticks out way less than the wheels,enabling things like draw knives to be easily ground without hitting the motor.

My grinder hardly vibrates,and any vibration is in the wheels.

The tool rests are simple,but are TWO piece,so they are "double jointed". Very handy for some operations. Modern grinder designers don't seem to know how to design tool rests.

If you can find one of these,they are good,inexpensive bench grinders.

Now,to tell the truth,for the many years by now that I have had a Wilton Square Wheel 2" x 72" belt grinder,it is the grinder I go to most often. It cuts very fast compared to a wheel grinder. Easy to change grits,and you can use the 8" contact wheel,2 other small size rollers to grind against,or use the flat platen to grind against. Grizzly sells a 2" x 72" "knife maker's grinder" which looks like it would do similar operations. But,the belt is completely unguarded,allowing dust to fly about. And,when a belt breaks,it is violent. If I had to use that grinder,I'd make an enclosure for the belt. But,it doesn't cost a fortune and the Wilton does.

Oh,and I did put a variable speed motor on the Wilton. When you are trying to carefully grind that last,delicate touch,the slower moving belt is nice. I got the motor and control from Surplus Sales. 1 1/4 H.P. 90 volt DC motor.

Last edited:
I have been using the same 6" Sears FLAT FRONT grinder since I bought it in 1963. The flat front motor sticks out way less than the wheels,enabling things like draw knives to be easily ground without hitting the motor.
See, that is what I'm talking about.... If they'd just make simple, basic, quality tools like they used to. A darn bench grinder doesn't need to make fancy coffee and scratch the dogs back... Just make a good quality grinder out of something harder than plastic.
OK, rant over....

NoSquib,
I know what you mean. I have an old powerkraft 1/4 drill that is over 45 yrs old. I have had this since I was 20yrs old and it was used back then. I am now 65 and it still works like a champ. I have been through at least 3 or 4 of those plastic cased drills in that time. They made tools to last back then. Now-a-days they make them to just last past the warranty.

Well, I suppose I'm going to have to employee a method of decision making my dad used. Take the information you have, make the best decision you can with that information, and go with it. I believe Franko made the suggestion for the Delta.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LHUWAFK/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AUEUXQQV6YS3R
I'm going to go with it. I should probably pick up an 80 grit wheel for tool grinding right? It comes with 36 and 60, but for finishing I'll probably need 80 right?
Anyone have a recommendation for that?

Back