Height gage

Was that an addon or did they come that way?

No just will never use the extra height.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
That said, many is the time that I put my 12" Starrett 254 E & M up on 1-2-3 blocks to get an extra 1" to 6" of height!
Basically, if you get a good deal on a taller one, go for it.

Richard

Was that an addon or did they come that way?
I believe it came that way! The whole bracket is a part of the pointer-adjust part. It is the one that my buddy found at an auction and is too large(I want to say either 24 or 30"?), so I rarely use it.

Alternatively, if your eyes are good enough for vernier, you can usually find deals on ebay/locally.

That's what I like about my Starrett 254. It has a .050" vernier instead of the more common .025". Even with my old eyes, I can still read it!
.Richard

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
That said, many is the time that I put my 12" Starrett 254 E & M up on 1-2-3 blocks to get an extra 1" to 6" of height!
Basically, if you get a good deal on a taller one, go for it.

Richard

One concern with that is that the taller they are, the bigger their base. The 24/30" one I have ended up being about 1/3 of my surface plate when I was a 12x18" plate :D

There are many used tools out there for sale.
Most height gauges are not abused.....
SMALL TOOLS in cleveland is one new and used machinist tools. Tell Bill at Small Tools Creightin sent ya....JAB in cleveland Ohio is another. Jason has all kinds of stuff. Tell him I sent you.
He has many tool holders collects drills taps height gauges several 9 inch lathes and more.

You will find when you get into “hobby” range things take a huge jump. I didn’t need a 14”, but I couldn’t touch that quality and price in a smaller gauge.
The 14" is really a 12" because the 50 division vernier takes up the other 2" to use the full 12" range, I bought one new back in the 1960s for about $100 new at the time, I very much like it, especially since it does not require an offset scriber for any measurement, the built in scriber goes all the way down to the surface plate.

I have a lot of Shars measuring tools including an 8" dial height gage. I like it a lot.

I would recommend an 8-12" height gage. It allows you to measure a bit more than your 6" calipers can in a pinch.

The 14" is really a 12" because the 50 division vernier takes up the other 2" to use the full 12" range, I bought one new back in the 1960s for about $100 new at the time, I very much like it, especially since it does not require an offset scriber for any measurement, the built in scriber goes all the way down to the surface plate.
Makes sense. Learn something new everyday around here.

The igaging height gauge that is sold by busy bee seems to work well.

Back