Height gage

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
Looking for a 6" height gage. Not looking to spend $300 on a Starrett but do want something reasonably accurate so,

Dial or electronic?

Definately want fine adjustment.

Looked at Amazon and it's not worth the effort.

Looked at LMS and there's one about $110 but it's 12". Any thoughts?

Any other suggestions?

Why 6"? Do you have a space restriction? My height gauge is a Mitutoyo Vernier style (with magnifying glass) about 16" high. I paid a little over $100 3-4 years ago.

I bypassed the whole thing and went vernier. the beauty of vernier it doesn't need calibration, never needs batteries and lots of guys want electronic or dial so I got a 254 Starrett master bar 14” with a ton of different snugs, points and a BestTest B&S .0005 dial test gauge for $110+shipping off eBay. It took a while of steady browsing but paid off as I unwittingly got what some call the holy grail of height gauges and it’s well used but meticulously maintained so in perfect shape. I’m old school and don’t have any digital mics, calipers etc.

Why 6"? Do you have a space restriction? My height gauge is a Mitutoyo Vernier style (with magnifying glass) about 16" high. I paid a little over $100 3-4 years ago.
No just will never use the extra height.

No just will never use the extra height.
You will find when you get into “hobby” range things take a huge jump. I didn’t need a 14”, but I couldn’t touch that quality and price in a smaller gauge.

As a tool, it is something that I don't use particularly often, but when I DO, they are quite useful! I WILL say that I try to keep my shop battery free, so I would be against the digital ones. I have a few height gauges that are vernier, since they seem quite a bit more durable than a dial indicator.

That said, that Shars one looks fine.

IMO, I'd probably try to get the largest one your surface plate supports, though I've very rarely wanted to go over ~8". Its a little more than 2x the price, but the Shars 12" might be worth while.

Alternatively, if your eyes are good enough for vernier, you can usually find deals on ebay/locally.

Yup, there’s the rub. But that’s what they make those jewelry goggles for ;)
One of the ones on my surface plate actually has a little magnifying glass on the height gauge for that purpose :D

Back