Height gage

No just will never use the extra height.
Redvan22, you will be surprised what you will use when you get involved in this hobby. Buy the biggest best that you can afford and you will still wish it was bigger. I bought the large height gauge and it came with the magnifying lens. Use it a few times each year and it has paid for itself.

Talk about screwups. The picture that was here belongs in another post. I had 2 posts open at the same time and responded to both at the same time in one post here.

Last edited:
if you don't have a good scribe, contact me. I had to go to Hell & a southern state to figure out a Japanese parts catalog. I should have a good number for one here. At least enough to go in the right direction.

I have one sitting down the basement that will sit there until the cows come home . I have a few scribes for it ( I think ) if I can find them . I'll throw it on below for $25 if interested . Maybe a B&S or Starrett vernier old timer style . :grin:

I am enjoying this discussion. I happen to be bidding on a Mitutoyo 14" vernier height gauge on a local auction right now. The auction goes live on Sunday.

Used high-quality height gauges with verniers are common. I would prefer a dial but they are much less common. I don't trust used digitals - if I were to go digital I would want to buy new.

As Mr. Whoopee said, used height gauges often are missing their scribes -this is a big deal. And as Chewy said, finding a replacement scribe is difficult and the cost of the scribe can easily exceed the cost of the used height gauge. I have an ancient Brown & Sharpe that is missing its scribe. I made a replacement but it is not very good. Also, used height gauges are often missing their boxes. Not a big deal in some shops, but for me it would present a storage issue.

Last edited:
@redvan22 If you buy a 6" gauge, you can always use a pair of 1-2-3 blocks to raise the height by 1" 2" or 3" giving you a 9" height easily.

used height gauges often are missing their scribes -this is a big deal.

What is this scribe that you speak of? :dunno:

(edit) Never mind, I see it now...

Back