Heavy 10 Paint

Well I bought this from SW. I got gloss instead of low sheen but everything else is the same. I think I am going to brush it. I am not to concerned about it being "Perfect" as long as it looks okay and close to original. Thanks to all for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_1909.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1906.JPG
    IMG_1906.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Well I started cleaning it and getting it ready for stripping the old paint. I hate that ugly green.

Attachments

• IMG_1912.JPG
    IMG_1912.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
I deal a fair amount with Sherwin Williams. Just talked to the rep a week ago about painting machines and he suggested Sher-Kem. Not sure what you have there, not that it matters now.
Looking forward to seeing your lathe all purdy'd up.

I use Rust-o-leum Smoke Gray for all my machine tools. Brush only. A quart will do a couple of machines usually...

Ted
Same here.

Harbor freight has a detail gun for 15 bucks, 10 on sale.

Get a syringe from the vet supply, large one, use it to draw paint from can.

Place whatever thinner is required in a small jar, we use a film can so it can be covered.

Draw correct amount of thinner after paint, hold finger on end and shake, cleans syringe and squirt into cup on sprayer.

Gloves on...

Cap cup and shake to mix.

Mix on thick side so minimal overspray.

We use the smoke gray, but there are 2 different ones!

Home depot thins with thinner

Lowes thins with acetone or thinner.

It will take 2 quarts.

The cast iron is somewhat rough and it is filled in with some different fillers depending on age.

Multiple coats of paint will fill these voids and the surface will self level as you go.

Once it looks good it may take a month to fully cure, just be careful assembling.

Thick paint on motor base and headstock parts, inside bed also as cleanup better with less crannies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Funny..... I just picked up a spray can of Rust-Oleum smoke gray the other day to test it out. It has a lot of blue in it compared to my normal go-to color of Massey Ferguson Gray.

Also, zylene is also a good thinner for paints such as the "hammered" types.
Another addition to paint is Japan Drier, which will speed up the drying time.

I painted a 1940 Bridgeport, one of the worse decisions of my life. I stripped it down, cleaned all the surfaces and applied the etching epoxy primer, got a beautiful finish, I waited a week, went to apply the paint, the primer fell off in sheets. Restripped the mill base, cleaned it completely again, reapplied the primer, waited a week, again the primer came off in sheets. I completely stripped and cleaned the mill base again, switch to a different brand of paint, it would not stick. Over the next 2-3 months, I washed it with white kerosene, acetone, muriatic acid, brake-Kleen, and other products, even carbon tetrachloride, nothing would stick.

One of my customers, made industrial coatings of all kinds, I mentioned to him the issue with the mill base, he asked a few questions and said he would need to think about it. About a week later, he came over to the shop, pulled out somekind of cleaning prep rags, wipe down 3 or 4 areas, put the rags back into their containers and left. About 3 or 4 days later he called and said he believed he had an answer. He gave me some prep wash, some primer and some blue-grey machine coating. I followed the hand written instructions to the letter, all application done out doors, wearing a respirator, keep everyone else clearly out of the area. after the prep wash had dried, the rags were extremely dirty, I applied the primer, waiting the required 3 days, I checked and the primer was solidly attached to the metal, I applied the paint, all went perfectly, the coverage and finish were great.

That was roughly 20 yrs ago, the coating engineer has passed on (cancer (?)), the coating company move to some place in Kentucky, and recently the paint is starting to peel off, in sheets, off the mill base again. Since that time I have not or will I ever paint any machine again.

Last edited:
I painted a 1940 Bridgeport, one of the worse decisions of my life. I stripped it down, cleaned all the surfaces and applied the etching epoxy primer, got a beautiful finish, I waited a week, went to apply the paint, the primer fell off in sheets. Restripped the mill base, cleaned it completely again, reapplied the primer, waited a week, again the primer came off in sheets. I completely stripped and cleaned the mill base again, switch to a different brand of paint, it would not stick. Over the next 2-3 months, I washed it with white kerosene, acetone, muriatic acid, brake-Kleen, and other products, even carbon tetrachloride, nothing would stick.

One of my customers, made industrial coatings of all kinds, I mentioned to him the issue with the mill base, he asked a few questions and said he would need to think about it. About a week later, he came over to the shop, pulled out somekind of cleaning prep rags, wipe down 3 or 4 areas, put the rags back into their containers and left. About 3 or 4 days later he called and said he believed he had an answer. He gave me some prep wash, some primer and some blue-grey machine coating. I followed the hand written instructions to the letter, all application done out doors, wearing a respirator, keep everyone else clearly out of the area. after the prep wash had dried, the rags were extremely dirty, I applied the primer, waiting the required 3 days, I checked and the primer was solidly attached to the metal, I applied the paint, all went perfectly, the coverage and finish were great.

That was roughly 20 yrs ago, the coating engineer has passed on (cancer (?)), the coating company move to some place in Kentucky, and recently the paint is starting to peel off, in sheets, off the mill base again. Since that time I have not or will I ever paint any machine again.
That's one reason I am just going with oil based paint. I have painted old cast iron before with my own home made black japan. It is made of Gilsonite which is almost powdered crud oil. You need no primer and it adheres to cast iron real well. I am thinking of painting it with that first but the oil based SW should be just fine on it's own. Here is one of the cast iron fans I painted with my home made paint (made from Gilsonite)

Attachments

• CIMG8902.JPG
    CIMG8902.JPG
    669.9 KB · Views: 9
  • CIMG8905.JPG
    CIMG8905.JPG
    637.3 KB · Views: 11
  • CIMG8904.JPG
    CIMG8904.JPG
    634.1 KB · Views: 17
That’s a nice looking finish (on the fan). Is the Gilsonite still easily available or is it going the way of white lead? Wouldn’t mind trying that someday.

-frank

That’s a nice looking finish (on the fan). Is the Gilsonite still easily available or is it going the way of white lead? Wouldn’t mind trying that someday.

-frank
You can buy it on ebay by the pound. I have a recipe from a 1912 paint book that I use. You can still find all the ingredients including the lead.

Attachments

• 78564_021044_240000000.jpg
    78564_021044_240000000.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 16
  • 78564_021049_210000000.jpg
    78564_021049_210000000.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 78564_021050_240000000.jpg
    78564_021050_240000000.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 78564_021052_160000000.jpg
    78564_021052_160000000.jpg