Heavily damaged Jet JMD-18... is it worth it?

Well, the plug that it has (NEMA X Y W) doesn't fit into my 220V receptacle for my welder, so I can't test it quickly.
That motor is assuredly dual voltage. You can change the input under the cover of the little metal box on the left hand side of the machine.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I’m in the camp that its salvage. It will never be as accurate as it was. Especially if you try to weld that column. And like most things the parts are insanely expensive. Everything is that way. You might get lucky by going through Grizzly if they are the same but the clones are not always the same as the original and some Grizzly parts don’t fit my RF30.

If the motor, pulleys,lead screws, split nuts and spindle are good I’ll bet you can sell them on eBay.

Sometimes the parts are worth more than the sum of the whole . This is most likely one of those cases .

If the X split nut is ok and the same as mine I’d be interested.

After owning a salvage lathe that was dropped on its face before I owned it I would never go through that again.

There will very likely be parts that you can’t see that are broken and you won’t find them until it’s too late.

John

After owning a salvage lathe that was dropped on its face before I owned it I would never go through that again.

There will very likely be parts that you can’t see that are broken and you won’t find them until it’s too late.

John

Even when the parts are readily available the costs add up quickly. I picked up an Enco 9x20 a few years ago. It needed some change gears and some other misc small parts, crank handles etc which I was able to get from Grizzly but added up to $200-300, plus another $150 for a QCTP. I only paid $300 for it, so I'm still well under its resale value, but even little stuff adds up quickly.

I'm all for fixing up an old machine, but that Bolton of yours taught me a lesson too. Don't try to fix a Bolton. ;)

Back