Heavily damaged Jet JMD-18... is it worth it?

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
I picked up a Jet JMD-18 machine yesterday that has been damaged (fell off a trailer on a highway). I got it for free hoping I can bring it to an ok shape to use it in my shop. Here is the damage assessment with some gory picks:

It has a broken column, missing idler pulley, and all of the hand cranks are missing. There is also a small visible crack in the head casting.

Surprised at a high price of the spare parts for this machine - just the idler pulley was some $255 bucks... wondering if there are cheaper alternatives (Rong Fu parts)?

Assuming I can weld the column back into place, would it be worth fixing the rest of it or are these cracks the death blow to such equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_074819627.jpg
    IMG_20220819_074819627.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20220818_170351590_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220818_170351590_HDR.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20220819_082310355.jpg
    IMG_20220819_082310355.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 104
It could be done, but you don't know what else you'll find in the process. If it were free, maybe, but it'll be a long row to hoe to get it up and running. You'll need a friend with a big lathe to rebuild the column. The cracked spider is probably no big deal. Yes, that is a Jet Rong Fu, so Rong Fu salvage parts should fit just about everywhere from what I can see. Personally, the time I'd have to put in is at too high a premium to make it work out economically. My vacation time is $50/hr, so that's my own reality check when I'm tempted. Makes it easier to walk away, right?

The cracked spider is probably no big deal. .. Makes it easier to walk away, right?
I'm assuming you mean the Idler base (JMD-080) - that in itself isn't too bad ($130) but the idler pulley that's supporting is missing ($260) + bearing ($50) + shaft + some other bits and pieces that hold it upright... all in all about $500 - for these bits alone. When sourcing them from JET...

That, and for some reason handwheels accrue a premium charge for simply being handwheels. Huh. Assuming all else is well, you're in a decent spot for cost, albeit with a lot of labor. They are good little mills when they're up and running and dialed in.

I'd manufacture a new column from tube stock rather than welding that one.

You could use it without the idler pulley and just cobble the rest of it back together- if the spindle seems to work ok that is
Obviously you don't want to spend much on it. I wouldn't. Does the motor even work?
-Mark
ps I would have loved to see that thing tumbling down the freeway, cars swerving to avoid it LOL
Fun
Fun
Fun
On the autobahn

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mean the Idler base (JMD-080) - that in itself isn't too bad ($130) but the idler pulley that's supporting is missing ($260) + bearing ($50) + shaft + some other bits and pieces that hold it upright... all in all about $500 - for these bits alone. When sourcing them from JET...

Keep in mind you can occasionally find used but fully functional Rong Fu clones at the $500-1000 price range, sometimes with tooling. $1000-1500 for a good one is quite common. Spending $500+ on parts to maybe fix it doesn't seem like a great deal.

I payed $850 for mine.

I’d part it out or sell it to someone who wants to build a custom what’s it.

John

Back