Heavily damaged Jet JMD-18... is it worth it?

HGR in Birmingham has a Rong Fu on 'last chance' clearance right now for $297... if you could acquire it (it wouldn't hurt to make a lower offer), and use the wrecked one for parts...?

Maybe make one good machine from two...

-Bear

I tested the motor yesterday on 220V - it runs buttery smooth. It's sooo quiet and powerful.

Tonight I took the spindle pulley off and removed the plastic cover to take a look at the head casting underneath.... not good. There are three cracks in the casting.

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_202439228_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220820_202439228_HDR.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 20
Maybe if I sell enough of the parts I'll buy this - just popped up:
As the former owner and improver of a Central Machinery Rong Fu, I wholeheartedly support this! Make sure it is the older Taiwan version (looks like it) and avoid the China versions that came out after Y2k. The Taiwan HF RF-30's are equal to the Jet versions in fit and finish.

You could use it without the idler pulley and just cobble the rest of it back together- if the spindle seems to work ok that is
Obviously you don't want to spend much on it. I wouldn't. Does the motor even work?
-Mark
ps I would have loved to see that thing tumbling down the freeway, cars swerving to avoid it LOL
Fun
Fun
Fun
On the autobahn
If you are referencing the song Autobahn by Kraftwerk. The lyric is in German "Fahren" not "Fun" which means "Drive" in English.

Back