Has anyone made an electro magnetic chuck from the guts of a microwave?

I find transformers fascinating..... the fact that we can convert electrical energy to magnetic energy and then back to electrical energy in itself is amazing.

Brino, for someone who obviously understand this stuff as well as you do;
It amazes me that you do not understand that there is no electrical energy, no magnetic energy, there is just Electro-Magnetic energy.
{you know Maxwell's equations circa 1890s}

there is no electrical energy, no magnetic energy, there is just Electro-Magnetic energy.

I’ve always understood Maxwell’s equations to describe the effect that one has on the other, not to define them as one and the same. In the form of an electromagnetic wave, the energy is of a combined phenomenon. But what about energy stored in an electric field, like a capacitor. You call that electromagnetic energy?

I’ve always understood Maxwell’s equations to describe the effect that one has on the other, not to define them as one and the same. In the form of an electromagnetic wave, the energy is of a combined phenomenon. But what about energy stored in an electric field, like a capacitor. You call that electromagnetic energy?

The energy is stored as E stress in the dielectric of a capacitor (at zero M). But to use the energy you need the electric parts and the magnetic parts.
Similar for the inductor, energy is stored in the M field (at zero E), but to use it you have to convert it back to E and M.

For similar reasons, power does not flow through wires, but flows through the E and M fields surrounding the wire.

Brino, for someone who obviously understand this stuff as well as you do;
It amazes me that you do not understand that there is no electrical energy, no magnetic energy, there is just Electro-Magnetic energy.

Hi Mitch,

No doubt Maxwell was smart!

No, NOT this guy......
1646788608079.png
(sorry about that chief!) :)

Although it has been more than thirty years since my EM and calculus classes, I am still comfortable with the concept of transverse electromagnetic waves..... although the calculus muscles have suffered extreme atrophy.

However:

It's a tough subject. If you have ever tried to explain all this to someone without a rampant interest, a wonderful imagination and a few hours with a white-board you might as well be speaking some ancient Neptuian dialect.

I believe that these advanced concepts (although proven correct and better understood by brains bigger than mine) can sometimes get in the way. However, there are "conceptual shortcuts" that can really help solidify the idea. I am willing to make some less than 100% perfect statements that get the idea across "good enough" for the concept to be understood and used.

In fact, there are probably some of these "conceptual shortcuts" I use every day when they are sufficient for the purpose.
It's kinda like still using Newtonian physics even though Mr. Einstein's new-fangled ways have been proven more accurate.
For masses much less than the sun and speeds much less than that of light, Newton was close enough.

After all, this is an internet board on machining...... if someone is designing a better radio, iphone, satellite system, etc. then I expect them to do a little more research. ;)

Does lack of understanding Maxwell's equations stop anyone from making an electromagnetic chuck for their workshop?
No way!

Honestly I have been re-winding transformers since long before I had ever heard of Maxwell or his equations.
Did my transformers work okay?
Absolutely, and some are still in use about 40 years later.

Thanks,
Brian

Back